Propane Boiler Room Industrial Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivette

Did I need to classify it as per NEC and NFPA Class I Division II Group D? There is a way to avoid this and rebuilt the fire system using gas detectors and carbon monoxide detectors directly connected to the main monoting system. I have three propaine boiler in this room.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Both preceding comments are valid. The installation, as described so far, would typically fall under NFPA 54, the National Fuel Gas Code. While the Standard references the NEC as the appropriate standard for electrical installations, it does not generally require electrical area classification in most cases. A small exception is in Section 7.12.5.2 – it is not applicable here.

Philosophically, the likelihood of the electrical installation igniting a leak from the typical fired equipment instsallation is exceptionally low.

Ivette said:
Did I need to classify it as per NEC and NFPA Class I Division II Group D? There is a way to avoid this and rebuilt the fire system using gas detectors and carbon monoxide detectors directly connected to the main monoting system. I have three propaine boiler in this room.

NFPA 497 5.4.3 Open flames and hot surfaces associated with the operation
of certain equipment, such as boilers and fired heaters,
provide inherent thermal ignition sources. Electrical
classification is not appropriate in the immediate vicinity of
these facilities. However, it is prudent to avoid installing
electrical equipment that could be a primary ignition
source for potential leak sources in pumps, valves, and so
forth, or in waste product and fuel feed lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.