Propane tubing naked coming out of the ground

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
So why is it we have to protect our wires which are already in one or two thick layers of plastic, inside another piece of plastic or steel, yet the propane company gets by with thin bare copper tubing for an explosive gas?
1000006390.jpg

Birken Vogt

I believe in most of the country, bare copper gas is not really allowed any more, but I don't necessarily think it is wrong.

I am guessing that it is because if you hit it with a shovel, gas leaks out, but is relatively easily shut off.

If you hit USE with a shovel, somebody gets shocked or sparks shoot out, or something catches fire down the line, more often.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Gas is not potentially immediately deadly if someone just touches it or destructive just by coming in contact with the ground. It needs another two other factors, ignition and concentration, to be so.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Underground alert is in 50 states now and they require all utilities to be registered with them. They require utilities mapping so before excavation, (which includes ground rods) they can be marked.

If excavation is done without notification, a large fine will be imposed.

Larger fines will be imposed if you strike "Gold".

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Underground alert is in 50 states now and they require all utilities to be registered with them. They require utilities mapping so before excavation, (which includes ground rods) they can be marked.

If excavation is done without notification, a large fine will be imposed.

Larger fines will be imposed if you strike "Gold".
Yes, but... many states have exclusions/exemptions that state some facilities do not have to be a member.
It's still a crap shoot sometimes. Natural gas companies must not be, they never locate their lines