Proper Bonding of a ground mounted system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Johnnie, after I watched the video, the whole situation went from fuzzy to clear. This system is not properly grounded. Not at all.

The proper way to ground this system is to put a lug on each of the vertical rails and run a copper wire to each vertical rail. Not only that, but were there to be any structural splices in those rails, then the wire would need to bond each separate piece, or at least there would need to be bonding jumpers across structural splices, using listed lugs. I think most installers will agree that this is standard practice for code compliance, whether using WEEBs or not.

I agree completely that unless they can show that the racking connections are listed for bonding, then those connections are not a bond. Thus, since the vertical rails are not grounded, the WEEBs are doing nothing and thus the panel frames are not grounded, and that is a clear violation.

Whether the code requires the horizontal rails and lower supports to be grounded is a fuzzier and more interesting question. But I would tend to agree with ggunn. Suppose a wire breaks and makes contact with any of that metal: that metal needs to be well grounded to trip the GDFI in the inverter.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Johnnie, after I watched the video, the whole situation went from fuzzy to clear. This system is not properly grounded. Not at all.

The proper way to ground this system is to put a lug on each of the vertical rails and run a copper wire to each vertical rail. Not only that, but were there to be any structural splices in those rails, then the wire would need to bond each separate piece, or at least there would need to be bonding jumpers across structural splices, using listed lugs. I think most installers will agree that this is standard practice for code compliance, whether using WEEBs or not.

I agree completely that unless they can show that the racking connections are listed for bonding, then those connections are not a bond. Thus, since the vertical rails are not grounded, the WEEBs are doing nothing and thus the panel frames are not grounded, and that is a clear violation.

Whether the code requires the horizontal rails and lower supports to be grounded is a fuzzier and more interesting question. But I would tend to agree with ggunn. Suppose a wire breaks and makes contact with any of that metal: that metal needs to be well grounded to trip the GDFI in the inverter.
Ye gods! That single lug on the one vertical rail is the ONLY path to ground for the whole array?? If so, the array is not grounded at all and I am embarrassed to admit that I missed that; I was assuming all along that all the horizontal rails were properly grounded and the only issue was the vertical ones. Yes, EVERY PIECE OF RAIL, be it horizontal or vertical, must have a solid path to ground, and rail splices and crossing points do not count as electrical connections. Most rail manufacturers also make electrical jumpers to electrically bond rails that are spliced.

Last edited:
If you think about it each one of those poles goes to ground. Is it a grounding electrode?no but it is grounded. Technically it needs a listed connection to the EGC. just drill a hole and set a lug on it. Dont be frazzeled by the engineer they make mistakes too..... like a recent engineered set of plans called for #6 bonding conductor on four hundred amp system upgrade. WRONG requires #3 not 6

Steve

Steve

Weebs bond the panels and rails together, rails and associated hardware is tested and listed as haveing electrical continuity, now u have to make a proper electrical connection to the poles. And u r correct the splice bars for the rails need to be part of the listed assembly or the need to hit every rail

Status
Not open for further replies.