Proper Grounding for Pool Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizwaters

We manufacture stainless steel pool lifts that are mounted in pool decks. Our inground socket provides a ground stud, and we want to include instructions for proper grounding via NEC standards. While the states vary, it seems that if we can provide that much information (what the NEC requires), then we can specify checking with state or municipal codes for further compiance. Can anyone advise? Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Proper Grounding for Pool Lift

you would need to follow UL listing requirements for your equipment. the NEC does not cover equipment design.

it is probably best to leave a generic statement about meeting local code requirements rather than try to diagram all the possible combinations of things you could have.

[ August 19, 2005, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: Proper Grounding for Pool Lift

You should have an engineer familiar with the NEC write your instructions. I'll give you this much:

You need to distinguish between equipment grounding and the pool bonding grid. If this lift is metal or mounts to metal sockets in/on a pool deck, then all of that metal must be connected to the pool bonding grid (which is a series of #8 solid copper wires in/under the concrete and also exteneded to the pool rebar, pump, underwater lights, metal handrails, and perhaps a bunch of other stuff).

All of the metal parts on your lift must be electrically well bonded together (structure, enclosures, motors, etc). If they are not, you'll need to provide lugs where #8 solid wire can be field installed to interconnect any the isolated metal parts. I would hope you take care of that issue at the factory...

The electric equipment on this lift must be grounded with an equipment grounding wire in the branch circuit(s) feeding this lift. I can't tell you what size or if it needs to be green insulated. Have someone read NEC 625 and NEC 250.122 to figure that out. This equipment grounding conductor will attach to some place metal that is already bonded to the #8 bonding grid. So there is sort of a double system for grounding/bonding, which is intentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.