Proper Grounding for TV Antennas & Sat. Dishes

Status
Not open for further replies.

acmeman

I want to determine the National Electrical Code (NEC) APPROVED methods to properly ground outdoor television antennas and SAT dishes. I assume similar techniques are used for each, but there could be differences as well.
This topic seems to be in a gray area. As an engineer (civil), I have done considerable research on this subject, and I have acquired several different methods of accomplishing these tasks, but I am certain that the NEC has very specific requirements for these processes.

I am aware that the antenna mast (or satellite dish) AND coaxial lead-in cable must both be grounded. I have determined that a #10 or #8 (which?) copper wire should be used to ground the mast. Can this wire be stranded or should it be solid? From my personal experience installing antennas, I have found the solid wire is a little more difficult to install, so I prefer stranded wire IF it’s approved. I have used the solid aluminum before, and I am not fond of the aluminum… the aluminum is too stiff and brittle and I also know that it doesn’t have the electrical conduction properties of copper, so let’s forget about the aluminum. What size copper: #10 or 8? Solid or stranded? For antenna masts AND/OR coax leadin cable?

I have also read that both DIRECTV and DISHNETWORK require a solid copper wire to ground the coaxial grounding blocks to an approved building ground, so I am confident of the requirement to use solid wire (#10 or #8… Which size?) copper for these grounding blocks would be the best choice?

What about acceptable grounds? (Water pipes, existing building grounds, length of copper coated grounding rod(s). Several antenna manufacturers (and Radioshack) informed me that a 4’ length grounding rod is OK to ground these outdoor antennas, but I have heard from others sources, that a 4’ length rod isn’t an approved length (8’ required). Is a 4' length grounding rod OK to ground outdoor antennas and/or SAT dishes?

Should ALL SAT dishes be grounded? I recently spoke to an installer from DIRECTV and he said they don’t always ground their dishes if they don’t have convenient access to an existing building ground. Some of their installs I have seen were not grounded. Is this acceptable or safe practice for theses dishes to remain ungrounded? My guess is that it’s not!

I will appreciate heraing your professional reply soon!

Bob Roberts, Jr.

Moderators note; Email address removed, please use PM feature to exchange this information.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There is no gray area at all. Art 810 is for antenna masts, 820 is for coax.
First remember that the rest of the rules in the NEC don't apply unless there is a specific reference from Chapter 8 see 90.3
The size of the bonding jumper is listed in the appropiate article, 810.21 (A) or 820.100
The type of acceptable electrode is also in that section.
Aluminum wire is not acceptable with in 18" of the earth.
Solid or stranded is fine. I bond my antennas with 2 AWG BCS
The most important point is to create a single point ground. Look at a cell site and see how the bonding and grounding is done there.
For residential applications, if the antenna or coax entry is more than 20 ft from the building ground, a 6 AWG copper bonding jumper is required to your communications equipment.
I was responsible for a code change in the 02 cycle, there was no reference to 250.8 for the attachement of the bonding jumper in 810, you could of used bailing wire and it would of been OK.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
acmeman said:
Should ALL SAT dishes be grounded? I recently spoke to an installer from DIRECTV and he said they don?t always ground their dishes if they don?t have convenient access to an existing building ground. Some of their installs I have seen were not grounded. Is this acceptable or safe practice for theses dishes to remain ungrounded? My guess is that it?s not!

.[/I]
The Sat dish installers are just that. Every Sat dish must be bonded to a grounding electrode. There was a proposal from the sat dish installers assocation to exempt sat dishes from grounding in the 2008 NEC, it was rejected, the CMP understands the importance of bonding these dishes.
Its not often done as:
They don't know
No convenient access
Not inspected, they may not be licensed.

Status
Not open for further replies.