Proper name for fuse bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have a large MDP with fuse buckets ranging from 400A to 30A. Again preparing a report and need to know the proper name for these sections.

Thanks.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Always called a section the vertical area holding the buckets; the buckets are the buckets far as I know.

nakulak

if its an indoor switchboard, its probably a Type 1 Enclosure. When we get submittals for switchgear they usually give each enclosure a code, but they are just letters that tell the manufacturer what parts to install I believe, and then of course the fuse or breaker size with Frames size and trip settings.

I usually just call em buckets tho.

Finite10

'Buckets' for me. Beyond that it's a P/N (manufacturer part number).
For a report it may be ok to refer to section #, and bucket/space#.

Last edited:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
How does this look?

Feeder conductors for the VFD controlling AHU1 originate at a 60A fusible section in MDP and consist of three #4 Thhn ungrounded conductors and one #10 cu EGC in 1" EMT fused at 60A. Length of feeder conductors is approximately 40'.
I think I can live with this. Bear in mind this report will go on state records and English is not really my forte.

Thanks all for looking at this.

jumper

Trivial, but it is THHN I believe.

Feeder conductors for the VFD controlling AHU1 originate at a 60A fusible section in MDP and consist of three #4 Thhn ungrounded conductors and one #10 cu EGC in 1" EMT fused at 60A. Length of feeder conductors is approximately 40'.

Add: Ran it by wife and she understood your paragraph, except "section", Go with what Jim said.

"is" should be "are".

Last edited:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I agree with Jim. When I hear section, I think one vertical column of the MCC that you bolt onto the other sections. I'd probably call it a 60 amp fused bucket as well.

Split Bolt

Trivial, but it is THHN I believe.

Add: Ran it by wife and she understood your paragraph, except "section", Go with what Jim said.

"is" should be "are".

"IS" is the correct word! You are describing the "LENGTH," of which there is only one. "The length are?":confused:
Good Luck!

kwired

Electron manager
Square D catalog seems to refer to each vertical column as sections and refers to components installed in them as devices.

In the panelboard section of the catalog they refer to the units of the fused devices panelboards as Branch Switches.

Although 'bucket' is a popular term I am guessing it originated in the field by installers and service people.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Although 'bucket' is a popular term I am guessing it originated in the field by installers and service people.
Buckets are a common term used with motor control centers. Some people also use it for fusible switches when they are in 'panels' to differentiate them from the 'hang on the wall' ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.