Proper Use of Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

If a gfci device were installed in a location that gfci protection is not required, should that gfci be required to be connected correctly and operate correctly?

B

bthielen

Re: Proper Use of Device

If you are just asking for personal opinions, my vote is for yes. The fact that the protection afforded by the GFCI is available, it would seem prudent to take advantage of it. I would rather have protection from a GFCI without knowing it rather than to be given a false sense of security to have a GFCI that is not installed to be functional.

I'm curious where you want to take this.

Bob

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Interesting questions. The key word in the questions is "should." I think this crosses the line between "code minimum" and "what the owner wants, even if the owner is unaware that that is what the owner wants." Speaking as a design engineer, I would say that I do not want the owner to think that the GFCI protection is available, when it is not. In that, I agree with Bob. But that is a design consideration; the NEC doesn't care (i.e., doesn't have jurisdiction over) how the owner operates anything within the facility, and doesn't care if the owner is happy.

If you saw one that was wired wrong, such that it would provide power to anything plugged into it, but that it would not function in its capacity of protection against ground faults, and if you wanted to cite it as a violation, then I think you could use 110.3(B) as your basis. That is as weak a case as you could ever hope to find, and I think it should not be used as the sole basis for a code-related decision, if there is any other code article that can be cited instead. But I can't think of any other article that would apply here.

jwelectric

110.3 (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
My vote is it would be required to be installed the correct way.
:)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jwelectric:
110.3 (B) Installation and Use. Listed or labeled equipment shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
My vote is it would be required to be installed the correct way.
:)
Ditto.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I would say that the answer is "yes", as I would imagine that anything electrical installed above and beyond minimum NEC requirements must still be installed according to code.

You could draw a parallel: if you install an extra receptacle between two that are placed to comply with spacing requirements, shouldn't that extra receptacle be wired correctly?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by LarryFine:
You could draw a parallel: if you install an extra receptacle between two that are placed to comply with spacing requirements, shouldn't that extra receptacle be wired correctly?
is there any requirement it be wired at all? is there any code that says you can't have a dead receptacle?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by petersonra:Is there any requirement it be wired at all? Is there any code that says you can't have a dead receptacle?
There is no such requirement. But that is not the issue. The issue is that if it is wired, must it be wired correctly?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

is there any requirement it be wired at all? is there any code that says you can't have a dead receptacle?
If you refer to the definition of receptacle and outlet in Article 100, one could say a "dead receptacle" does not meet the NEC's definition of "receptacle".

Just don't ask me what it should be called.

Steve

apauling

i wouldn't pass a dead receptacle as something must not be working correctly. a dummy receptacle is different, like dummy switches in multigang sw boxes. A GFCI that does not have the protection is no different than a non-required guardrail (less than 30" height) that is attached with a couple of small box nails. The implied safety is inherent in the usage. Products are to be used as listed, and not providing that safety may seem a debatable issue with NEC, but not with the totality of codes, as the NEC does not exist in isolation.

I could not imagine an inspector passing it, nor could I see the inspector losing upon appeal.

I like "homerun security"

paul

thinfool

Ok...I'll bite...how would a gfci be connected so that it would not work correctly? Line wires to the load side?
I am really trying to understand the issue here...?
A blank plate is a lot less expensive than a non-working receptacle.
Did this scenario actually happen?

jma56

if i had a gfci in my house i would only assume that it would be functional....a dangerous miscinception to the end user!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.