Property Line and Main Panel Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shorts 53

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope this question is in the correct place.
My question is...
Is there a minimum distance or set back for the installation of a main electrical panel from a property line for single family residential service?
The Building Code (I live in California, 2013 CBC) addresses structures and distance to property lines, but I cannot find anything regarding the location of a stand alone electrical panel in relationship to property lines in the Electric Code (2013 CEC).
Your help would be appreciated.
:?

Shorts 53

This would be a building zoning issue, IMO not an NEC issue
It would seem to me that the location of a stand alone main electrical panel and the distance to a property line creates the same potential for fire as a building. The Building Code requires a distance of five feet for a building or three feet if fire sprinklered. Any closer it requires a one hour fire rating. Think about your neighbor mounting the main service entrance to the back side of your fence! Has this been overlooked in terms of code requirements?

user 100

It would seem to me that the location of a stand alone main electrical panel and the distance to a property line creates the same potential for fire as a building. The Building Code requires a distance of five feet for a building or three feet if fire sprinklered. Any closer it requires a one hour fire rating. Think about your neighbor mounting the main service entrance to the back side of your fence! Has this been overlooked in terms of code requirements?

The only part of the code that might apply here with respect to your concern about a "cramped " area around a panel would be 110.26 (A and B)
but even that can be superseded by the poco, which is someone else you could call for extra info about your concerns.

But as Dennis Alwon posted this is a zoning issue outside of the scope of the NEC.

Last edited:

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Ditto on the POCO being the AHJ. We (utilitiy companies) are pretty particular about service panel locations. Check with them and get it approved IN WRITING or risk digging it up and moving it.

ceb58

Anything you build to support panel is a structure to both the NEC and building codes.

I would say the same. The pole would be considered a structure just as a building would be. So your setbacks would/should be the same for the pole.

kwired

Electron manager
But zoning rules may have a different set back for a pole then for a building. It is common to see poles virtually right on the property lines. Is also common to see fences right on the property line.

Work space that encroaches another property is going to pass an NEC inspection but may or may not a zoning rules inspection. Even if it does you can possibly have trespassing issues if you have to do work while standing on another property.

What happens if you have equipment needing clearance that encroaches another property then the neighbor decides to build a fence right on/near the property line?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Unless you have an easement from me, I don't have to let you come onto my adjacent property to work on your electrical equipment.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am working on a project in California in an area for which the local utility appears to require a setback of 50 feet. It is an existing property with an existing pad-mounted transformer, and I need a bigger transformer because a number of buildings are being added to the site. But the utility wants me to put the new/replacement transformer further from the property line. I am still trying to work this out with them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I would guess that the five foot setback would be required. You usually cannot put anything in that required distance (chimney, AC, pool equipment, etc.)

Charlie yours is a commercial project I'm assuming and that has to do with whether sprinklers are required or not.

kwired

Electron manager
I am working on a project in California in an area for which the local utility appears to require a setback of 50 feet. It is an existing property with an existing pad-mounted transformer, and I need a bigger transformer because a number of buildings are being added to the site. But the utility wants me to put the new/replacement transformer further from the property line. I am still trying to work this out with them.
And I am usually pushing to get transformers closer to the load supplied:blink:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
John, my project is residential - very high end residential. :eek:hmy: The separate buildings include a yoga studio and a pottery studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.