PROPOSALS & COMMENTS FOR THE NEXT CYCLE - Am I the only one out there !

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I log in into this forum daily ... and hear a lot of suggestions for NEC changes.
This is the time for your input.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Quash GFCIs for hard-wired equipment and AFCIs for everything.
headbang.gif

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I will probably submit 50 to 100 PIs, but I typically don't post them. People can see them when the first draft is published in July of 2024.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I log in into this forum daily ... and hear a lot of suggestions for NEC changes.
Go back and scan through the ROP's for the last 20+ years, (a monumental task) you will find 100's maybe 1,000's of proposals from MH members (not me though) Don has had more than you could imagine. Don, Dennis, Ryan Jackson, George Stolz, etc.... have all had proposals accepted.

MasonF

Occupation
Master Electrician
Its neat to see proposals youve made get accepted and actually see them in the codebook.🤓

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have been very slack about sending in proposals. I did one this 2026 code input but hadn't done any in the past 1 cycle

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I had one accepted for GFCI protection for wind turbines and the article on wind turbines. Plus a few others, as some that were not accepted. When I was instructing I used to keep a list of proposals

butter

Just a general comment. Thousands of people install electrical systems daily. They don't have the luxury of being able to study the NEC 8 hours a day and try to interpret what is trying to say. So .. if professional NEC [ inspectors, writers and instructors etc. ] can't fully understand or interpret the NEC., how can the laymen installing this work 8 hours a day be able to install correctly? You can write on paper all day long, but if not fully understood, How can it be expected to be installed correctly and safely. Just saying.

retirede

Just a general comment. Thousands of people install electrical systems daily. They don't have the luxury of being able to study the NEC 8 hours a day and try to interpret what is trying to say. So .. if professional NEC [ inspectors, writers and instructors etc. ] can't fully understand or interpret the NEC., how can the laymen installing this work 8 hours a day be able to install correctly? You can write on paper all day long, but if not fully understood, How can it be expected to be installed correctly and safely. Just saying.

When I was in the business, I attended a 2 day code update class every 3 years where changes were taught and discussed.
Old saying: “Ignorance is no excuse for the law.”

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

I'll have to disagree with you here. If you make your livelihood on this, you need to make it a priority to study & understand this book. You don't need to memorize it, you just need to understand how to find information. Considering that most EC's specialize within a particular area now, it reduces the information you need to process.

Lastly, this book isn't written for laymen. It's written for professionals, and your value as an electrician greatly increases when you are competent in the NEC.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had written several of them years ago and got a few accepted. Then in the next code cycle I wrote several more of what I thought were very good proposals and I don't think that any got in. That soured me to the point where I was no longer going to waste my time writing them.

Some the garbage that does get accepted without any substantiation is now mind boggling so I can be happy sitting on the sidelines. Maybe when I retire I'll look into writing some new ones.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It appears as though your address and zip is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.