Proposed NEC Reorganization

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
I love the word "Stakeholders'.
The first step is "Public Input" then "Public Comment".
Then what ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I love the word "Stakeholders'.
The first step is "Public Input" then "Public Comment".
Then what ?
I don't think the reorganization is subject to the change process. That is done by the NFPA as far as I know.
As far as the steps they are
1) Public Input
2) Panel action on the inputs and publication of the first draft report. All of the PIs both those that were accepted as well as those that were resolved (rejected) can be found in the first draft report, but the resolved ones are a bit more difficult to find. In both cases there must be a panel statement as to why they accepted or rejected.
3) Public Comments
4) Panel action on the comments and publication of the second draft report. Note that rejected PIs can come back in the second draft, but that is not as common with the new electronic (terraview) system as in the old ROP and ROC system.
4) Notice of Intent to Make a Motion. (NITMAM) This is a notice that you want to make a floor motion and debate the issue at the NFPA annual meeting where the code will be adopted
5) Certified Amending Motions (CAMs). The NITMAMs that met all of the rules will become a certified amending motion and be voted on by all of the members in attendance at the annual meeting.
6) The CAMs that passed are sent back to the CMP for additional action. If the CMP agrees with the CAM it becomes code. If the CMP does not, there is no consensus between the NFPA members and the CMP members, and the code reverts back to the language in the previously adopted code as that was the last time there was consensus on that issue.
7) Appeals to the Standards Council. This is the last step, well almost last step, and the Standards Council can make changes based on the appeal. The Standards Council is the final word as far as the NFPA is concerned.
8) Court action. There was one case where the next appeal went to the courts and all the way to the US Supreme Court. That was because of actions by a metal conduit manufacturer that kept electrical nonmetallic tubing out of the code for one code cycle. You can look up Allied Tube & Conduit Corp. v. Indian Head, Inc.

Although this reorganization would be more logical for sure, I think the NEC needs to instead put effort into "trimming the fat" and making the code clearer and simpler. It's just gotten to big and absurd. It's like they just keep adding more and more stuff, mostly without substantiation, and hardly ever fix anything from the past.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
They'll have to rethink the title of Chapter 20. If an emergency system is an emergency system, that must mean that a legally required standby system is a life safety system? I'm not so sure that's the case...

Chapter 20: Life Safety and Emergency Systems
2010700Emergency Systems
2012701Legally Required Standby Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.