Pros/Cons of union vs non-union job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

New here, and not sure where to appropriately make this post, this forum said anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, so I'm trying it.

I'm not looking to create any drama, I have seen in other forum sites that it fills with drama completely and doesn't really get into the info I am looking for.

So, I am at a crossroads in my career. Technically speaking due to verifiable, I am a soon to be 4th year industrial/commercial electrician. I have most of an electrical engineering degree, that would give me enough hours to be a journeyman, but they won't give any credit without have the full degree parameters of which I am only a couple classes short. I also have a lot of experience over 20 years of personal projects/remodels that I used code reference books to do to code, but unverifiable experience.

Most days I love my job, but others I crave something different, as I get irritated with the people I work with. So I was considering looking for a new company. So this strikes the question, should I look for a union job or a non-union company?? I understand there are a lot of politics involved with union, but the pay and benefits are usually much better. Other than that, I don't have a clue what to look for as I make a change. Why are some guys so against the idea of union job that makes it worthwhile to work for less wage and benefits?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Welcome to the Forum1

However, we have found that the subject of "Union vs Nonunion" to be too controversial and don't allow them.

Feel free to participate in other ways other than this subject.

Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.