Prosthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammyf7

I have an employee/eletrician who recently lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. He recieved his prosthetic leg and is eager to return to work. Is this possible? What are the risks? Any information, supporting evidence would be helpful.
Thanks!

haskindm

Get in touch with someone who understands the ADA. You are required to make "reasonable accomodations" so that this person may work. Someone needs to be determine what "reasonable accomodations" will mean in your circumstances. If they cannot do the job with "reasonable accomodations" then you will not need to employ them, but if you dismiss them without determining if they can do the job with "reasonable accomodations" you may be sued under ADA. If people can ski, etc with prosthetics, I see no reason that they cannot do electrical work. It will depend on the work that they will be required to do and what is determined to be "reasonable".

muskiedog

Ada

Ada

I have had to hire an assistant for a individual who is blind to perform basic functions. The individual has a reader and does keying opertions. This was brought about by a law suit. So make sure you cover your bases if you do not have a job for the indivual to return to. I think they should be able to return to work unless you would have certain criteria in your job discriptions that hey would not be able to perform. I hope you have a basic job discription with what physical requirements they may need to be able to do.

Here is a web site that has all of the standards on ADA. http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/about/index.htm

rcarroll

I occassionally inspect for an electrician in my town who has a prosthetic leg. His work is clean, he gets around fine. No problems on my end. Give your employee a chance. It may take awhile for him/her to adjust. Soon, no one will care.

ryan_618

I worked with a man that had no left hand. He could bend 1 1/4" EMT faster (and better) than anyone else we had. He would also be the first to volunteer to climb an extension ladder and hammer drill all day. What an amazing man. Its quite incredible the way people can overcome a disability like that.

prosthetic leg? No Problem at all.
I know a skydiver with a prosthetic leg & he can maneuver better than most of the other guys. Only one problem, he had a hard opening one day & his prosthetic fell off.

If I was you, I'd welcome him back with some good one legged jokes to make him feel at home.,

charlie tuna

i have seen it go both ways. i had a friend lose his leg in a motorcycle accident and was back to work in less than a year. the problem with him was he was overdoing himself as to prove he was not handicapped. i found his capabilities unreal!!! yes less than a year!!! his kids were asked by the medical team -- "if we try to save his leg we may loose his life" his kids told the team to take the leg off. now as he recovered -- his kids began to second guess their thoughts. he made his mind up that he would not them feel guilty. and yes, he still rides motorcycles..........

the second guy went to school with me and had both hips replaced due to a fall off a scaffold. i heard about it and suggested he come to work for me and i would pay him to train as an estimator. after three months of training he realized he just didn't have the ability to be an estimator and asked me to put him in the field. i was had second thoughts about this -- but let my feelings get in the way of my better judgement. i went through six months of hell trying to find a job that could absorb him. he was what i call mentally handicapped. he found an excuss not to work or even try. his fellow workers figured him out and he bounced from job to job. it was rough explaining to him and his wife --- that it just wasn't working out. he came back about three months later and admitted his problem and thanked me.

i think you need to look at it on an individual basis.....

I work with a man who has a prostetic leg. he can climb a ladder. carry emt bundles and do just about anything you or I do. one major thing..... I did not know of his disability for almost 4 months. sure he walks with a limp but that could have been a bad knee. when i found out a few months ago he explained that he was in a motorbike accident 3 years ago. been back to work for 2. so i see no reason your man would not be able to do the same. give him a chance at least and encourage him some...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
tammyf7 said:
I have an employee/eletrician who recently lost his leg in a motorcycle accident. He recieved his prosthetic leg and is eager to return to work. Is this possible? What are the risks? Any information, supporting evidence would be helpful.
Thanks!

If he can safely and efficiently perform the tasks of his job, I see no reason not to welcome him back. I don't see any special risks.

B

bthielen

Just recently had the gravel road reworked by my place. The contractor had suffered a motorcycle accident about 8 years ago that left him parallyzed from the waiste down. Unless you saw him in his chair you would not know that he was in this condition. He operates all of his own heavy equipment including bottom scrapers, dozers, backhoe, graders, etc. He also gets his hands dirty doing the maintenance. They had blown an engine on one of his scrapers and he and his employee removed the engine and sent it in for rebuild. His D-7 cat had transmission problems and to my understanding he made the repairs himself at home in his shop.

From my experience, I have found that ividivuals like this are far more driven than many of us. The struggles they have learned to overcome have made them much more resilient.

Bob

realolman

bthielen said:
he made the repairs himself at home in his shop.

From my experience, I have found that ividivuals like this are far more driven than many of us. The struggles they have learned to overcome have made them much more resilient.

Bob

Amen.

I have a relative diagnosed with multiple sclerosis probably 35 years ago.
That's not bad enough... he also is legaly blind ... has no vision except peripheral vision. Put both your hands up in front of your face about two inches away. That's what he got.

He helped me build my garage about 15 yr ago and you oughta see the furniture he built.

I used to wonder how he did it... I'm still not sure exactly.

This guy has fallen so many times and gotten back up, it is a privilege to be there to give him a hand up.

Your guy will probably be about the same as he was before... just with one leg.

Do yourself a favor and welcome him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.