Protecting cable entering ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I had a call to go connect an cable that was buried with the homeowner's permit to an tagged 200A meter base. There is an temporary panel there that needs to be removed off the pole, and the cable entered into the meter base in it's place that will feed an pumphouse panel, which in turn will branch off to feed an cottage and another shed. The cable is ACWU (aluminum 250 MCM for a voltage drop), and if not passing through concrete into the ground, is it necessary to sleeve it as it enters the ground on private property with some PVC to protect it from being sheared/damaged?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What kind of cable is acwu? I guess it is an ac cable. Here is what I found

Application
For exposed and concealed wiring in dry or wet locations and where exposed to weather. For use in ventilated flexible cableways in dry or wet locations. For direct earth burial (with protection as required by Inspection Authority). For service entrance above or below ground, For use in hazardous locations with approved connectors.

Last edited:

powerplay

ACWU is armoured aluminum cable with an PVC jacket acceptable fo direct earth burial (in Canada eh!)

Although the cable is armoured, when passing through concrete I use PVC pipe to protect the cable to prevent it from shearing/damage at floor level. This installation is on an private pole with the cable coming directly from the meter into the ground. I always like to hear feedback from moderators and those with experience to help make a educated decision where to meet or beat minimum requirements... thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.