Protecting Estimates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarryHartwick

Occupation
Retired Estimator/Project Manager/Design Build
I wonder how many companies or estimators protect their estimates with the statement that "This estimate is protected by Proprietary information"?
When I started estimating years ago the gentleman that taught me used to instruct estimating classes at a University. This and many other qualifications we would list in our quotations before sending them to the Prime/General Contractor. Every once in awhile I would receive a message back from said Prime/General Contractors requesting I remove this clarification. This always led me to believe this is a organization I don't think I would like doing business with.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
This isn't unusual for government contracts, specifically DOD, but its not something you'd typically see in a bid for a shopping mall. And if I were the GC and you sent me a proposal with a blanket statement like that without any specific authorizations listed, I'd send it back to you as well. I picture that scene from The Office where Michael Scott comes out of his office screaming "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY".... "I didn't just say it, I declared it!"

Unless you have some statute to back it up, I don't see the point. If a GC or owner intends to shop you, they're going to do it regardless of you telling them they can't. Its even somewhat typical now in CM at risk contracts.

A lot of projects aren't fair. You do your best to spot them before waiting time w/ a proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.