Protection for the GEC for a service (armored cable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bantamben

Im still not clear on the issue of why I'm required to run armored cable for the grounding electrode conductor on a 200 amp service using #4 awg. I've done it in the past to comply but it seems I've read you don't need protection on anything bigger than # 6. Right now I'm trying to size a ground wire for a 400 amp service at a dwelling the service entrance conductors are 400mcm so by code I'm required to run a 1/0 ground. Is there any reason I can't direct bury this 1/0 ground or just attach it exposed to house and run it to two ground rods and then bond it to the cold water. Or is there a code that requires me to protect it in a raceway?

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Subject to Physical damage is a judgement call. One inspector may say its not subject to damage and another may say it is.

Are you planning to run 1/0 for your ground rods? If so why? The NEC only requires #6 for ground rods. You will need 1/0 for your water bond.

Bantamben

Yeah I was confused as it says 1/0 on the chart but then says for ground rods not required larger than #6. So does this mean I can run a number six to the first then second ground rod and to cold water as long as it continuous. Or can I run #6 to first ground rod then id have to run 1/0 to second ground rod and cold water?

Bantamben

Yeah that's kinda a bummer if that's the case as the existing ground rod Is right next to the panel and the cold water entrance into the home is 150ft to the front of house. So I could run a 1/0 up to front of house with no armored cable or conduit and then run a #6 from panel to the two ground rods? Does it say anywhere that they have to be continuous on the same cable without a break as that seems what the previous ahj had been enforcing on other 200 amp projects.

Bantamben

You don't have to go all the way from the water pipe to the ground rod with 6, just from the service panel to the ground rod.

Yeah actually currently 6 is tan to ground rod but they have another 6 ran to a cold water spicket by panel. It's not where it enters the building though. So I'll need to run 1/0 to the cold water from the panel to the front correct?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yeah that's kinda a bummer if that's the case as the existing ground rod Is right next to the panel and the cold water entrance into the home is 150ft to the front of house. So I could run a 1/0 up to front of house with no armored cable or conduit and then run a #6 from panel to the two ground rods? Does it say anywhere that they have to be continuous on the same cable without a break as that seems what the previous ahj had been enforcing on other 200 amp projects.

In this scenario you would have two GEC's one from the panel to the metal water pipe and the other from the panel to the first rod. The jumper to the second rod would be a bonding jumper. The GEC is only required to be continuous from the neutral bus to the electrode.

Bantamben

Ok that's clear so I can run a 1/0 to the cold water and a #6 to ground rod because its a ground rod and jumper that to the second ground rod with the same #6 although I don't have to be continuous from first to second ground rod.

Bantamben

I'm curious why inspectors are requiring armored cable on grounds around here I just installed a 200 and used #4 armored but I could have just used #6 bare or green your saying wich is much cheaper .

Status
Not open for further replies.