Protective barriers in panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hassel4

I heard that it may violate UL to install Lexan barriers in panels. The barriers are installed over portions in the panel (over fuses, exposed relay contacts). The intention is to reduce incidental contact with energized condutors.
If the cover is not used to cover the entire inner workings, I don't see UL issues.

Your thoughts

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Hassel4 said:
I heard that it may violate UL to install Lexan barriers in panels. The barriers are installed over portions in the panel (over fuses, exposed relay contacts). The intention is to reduce incidental contact with energized condutors.
If the cover is not used to cover the entire inner workings, I don't see UL issues.

Your thoughts

Are you talking about panelboards or industrial control panels?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL listing of anything involving plastic involves flammability testing. You therefore cannot willy-nilly install any kind of "plastic" barrier without it being UL listed for that application. Some control component manufacturers have clear plastic barriers available for their equipment which are UL recognized, typically combination motor starters and some disconnect switches. Example:

NEMA starter protective shielding

I don't know, but people like Hoffman may also have similar more generic "dead front" panels (swing out doors) that can be made from clear plastic. At the very least, you can add "window kits" to regular dead front panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.