Protective tubes over fluorescent bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In most cases when you buy a 2' x 4' drop-in fluorescent fixture it comes with a prismatic plastic lens. If you or your customer chooses to replace that lens with a parabolic (egg crate) type lens aren't you required to install clear protective tubes over the fluorescent bulbs ?

I had an appointment to go to the hospital today for a colonoscopy (a pant load of fun I might add) and I couldn't help but notice that none of the drop-ins had protective covers over the bulbs - not even in the OR. Does anyone know if this is an NEC requirement, a manufacturer's suggested procedure or just a safety precaution that an installing electrician might take. My opinion, if it's in a patient care area they should have covers.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Protective tubes over fluorescent bulbs

If the lamps are over food they need to be enclosed somehow.

That is a USDA thing I believe.

You can also buy lamps with a coating right on them that works really well. ShaterSheild is one kind.

jma56

My only experience with tube covers was when the food industry was involved. It would be nice to think something would be in place in the hospital sector. puts a whole new meaning to something somewhere

steved

Back when I was the maintenance guy at a manufacturing plant, the rule was that fluorescents within seven feet of the floor had to have protective sleeves on them. I'm not sure where that rule came from -- maybe OSHA?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I'm glad you had something to focus on during your procedure.
Actually, I was out cold during the procedure (thank goodness). This was a before and after observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.