Prototype equipment in hazardous areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpierce

We are developing a new prototype for heating a hydrogen pressure vessel. There is no available product to heat this specific design of pressure vessel which is why we are developing the prototype. We have designed the prototype to be compliant with UL60079-7 Equipment Protection by Increased Safety "E". We would like to test the design with hydrogen in a class 1 zone 2 area before we finalize the product design and pay for certification.

Is it OK to install equipment in a class 1 zone 2 area that is not yet certified and listed in this type of situation?

NEC 505.9(A) indicates that suitability of the equipment can be determined by (1) Equipment listing or labeling or (2) Evidence of equipment evaluation from a qualified testing laboratory or inspection agency concerned with product evaluation or (3) Evidence acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction such as a manufacturer?s self-evaluation or an owner?s engineering judgment.

I think it makes sense to self-evaluate the equipment and document that the design is in compliance with the UL60079-7 standard at this stage. We have a lot of people with experience in hazardous area installations as well as undertaking HAZOP's on prototypes so I think we could make a safe engineering judgement. But does anyone have experience with this and is there a standard approach here?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.