PT Connections to a Beckwith Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Guys, I have to add some PTs to a Beckwith Relay. Here is the diagram I received, the source is 480 volt ungrounded delta.

For some reason this diagram looks odd to me?

Anyone want to comment?

d95d5cfa.jpg

tata

When you are trying to Synchronize , the bus voltage or system voltage becomes VS ( Phase or P- P) , a single phase voltage is enough to synchronise & your generator becomes the other voltage.

You say the source is 480 volt ungrounded delta, is it the FUEL CELL bank?

jghrist

Seems odd to try using ?-N voltage on an ungrounded system for synch check. I wouldn't think you would have a stable voltage.

You would normally use a 1? VT connected ?-?. See Figure 2-2 or 5-6 in http://www.beckwithelectric.com/docs/books/M-3520-IB-09MC4_(05-09).pdf
The Alternate Phase VT Connection is needed for an ungrounded system.

How is the VT connected on the other side of the breaker (Terminals 35-40)? It should be open delta on an ungrounded system.

iwire

Staff member
Seems odd to try using ?-N voltage on an ungrounded system for synch check. I wouldn't think you would have a stable voltage.

You would normally use a 1? VT connected ?-?. See Figure 2-2 or 5-6 in http://www.beckwithelectric.com/docs/books/M-3520-IB-09MC4_(05-09).pdf
The Alternate Phase VT Connection is needed for an ungrounded system.

How is the VT connected on the other side of the breaker (Terminals 35-40)? It should be open delta on an ungrounded system.

I am afraid I cannot understand some of what you are saying.

I have virtually no experience with Beckwith relays.

(BTW, thanks for the link, I am printing it out now)

SG-1

The wiring diagram provided should match one of the diagrams in the instruction book. I did not see any that matched, but I was scanning fast. If the customer insists upon something different, make sure you are not on the hook to re-wire like the book shows.

The Beckwith people will talk with you. We see some of their relays about every 5 years or so.

Are you programming the beast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.