Public assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Welcome to the forum.

The answer depends on some factors. Assuming you're outside NYC (I can't speak for NYC code) if the bldg code will allow the building to be built of combustible construction, then the NEC will allow you to run NM. The bldg dept will allow it (or not allow it) based on how many people, which subclassificaiton of Assembly Occupancy, height & area, etc. I'll suggest you ask the building department if it's ok.

kwired

Electron manager
Existing Wooden structure renovation, It is a club house and is considered public assembly. Can MN and MNS cable be used for the branch Circuitry?
Clarification of terminology used would help some as well. I assume you mean NM cable and not MN. Public assembly - are you trying to say place of assembly or just that the general public is welcome here. A "place of assembly" is descriped in 518.1. The main thing there is occupancy of 100 or more persons. If it is a place of assembly NM cable is not allowed in such places.

ron

Clarification of terminology used would help some as well. I assume you mean NM cable and not MN. Public assembly - are you trying to say place of assembly or just that the general public is welcome here. A "place of assembly" is descriped in 518.1. The main thing there is occupancy of 100 or more persons. If it is a place of assembly NM cable is not allowed in such places.

518.4(B) allows it in nonrated construction

kwired

Electron manager
518.4(B) allows it in nonrated construction
How does that work out with an old building that is not rated construction but would be required to be rated if it were being built today, like say a 100 year old church? Gone through a few of those in my time and replaced old wiring - usually NM cable or even knob and tube with either metal raceways, MC cable or a little of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.