Puck light transformers

• Thread starter a.wayne3@verizon.net
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

On a final this past week,an issue came up.Installation of a puck light trans in a 2 gang pvc nail on box blanked off.This is a residential installation.At first the AHJ was going to fail it because of low volt and line voltage in the same enclosure.I insisted that he show me where in the NEC this was not allowed as long as the low voltage conductors were rated for up to 600 v.After a search in his code book he couldn`t find one.He passed it as long as I would use a vented grill over the box instead of a blank citing 450.9.Manufacturers instructions state that the trans. be installed in an enclosed junction box.To me there is a danger of a small child sliding a knife or something like that into the vented grill and hitting the line voltage conductors in the J box.To me enclosed is just that enclosed not a vented grill.Besides the vented grill is not UL listed for this application.Maybe it`s just me,what do you guys think?

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Re: Puck light transformers

I think the inspector is trying to be conscientious but in the process he is exceeding his authority. I'm with you on the possibility of foreign objects getting into the box.
--
Tom H

jimwalker

my only problem with this is will that pvc box take the heat for years ? Is there any problems using this pvc box as far as it being approved for this use ? Why not use 4x4 steel ? Other than cost i think it be lot safer

pierre

He was correct about the NEC not permitting the Class 2 ('low voltage') wiring and the power conductors in the same enclosure, except for these very strict requirements .. 725.55(D).

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.