Pull box for Fiber cable in a Class 1 Div 2 rated area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeparsons03

Occupation
Engineer
I have fiber coming up from out of the ground into a pull box. The pull box is in a class 1 div 2 area. There are no terminations in the pull box, it is just a means to pull fiber out of the ground and divert it to where it needs to go. Since that cable isn't current carrying, does the pull box need to be class 1 div 2 sealed?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Pull boxes, even for energized conductors, are not required to be sealed in a Class I, Division 2 location. If the raceway is coming from an unclassified location and entering a classified location a boundary seal will be required.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have fiber coming up from out of the ground into a pull box. The pull box is in a class 1 div 2 area. There are no terminations in the pull box, it is just a means to pull fiber out of the ground and divert it to where it needs to go. Since that cable isn't current carrying, does the pull box need to be class 1 div 2 sealed?
Seals are about preventing the transmission of flammable gases, not about whether there are energized conductors present.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If a box in a Class I, Division 2 area does not contain arc producing equipment, it can be what ever is required for the environment

Status
Not open for further replies.