Pull boxes and ground

Kevin.hndz

Occupation
Electrician
I have about 5 one inch emts going into the same pull box my question is do I need a ground for each pipe to the box or is one ground in one of the pipes enough (from the pull box I have 3 one inch emts exiting into another pull box for another room and from that box 2 more into a last office )

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with be others, no EGC is required in any of the EMT raceways. So you could pull in an EGC in just one or two or all of them and of course in none of them. Your choice.

Kevin.hndz

Occupation
Electrician
I know the EMT itself is a mechanical ground but I noticed they pulled a ground into one of the pipes AND added a ground bar inside the pull box so it got me wondering are they going to pull a ground into each pipe entering the SAME pull box

Attachments

• 17290918142978015657807477144424.jpg
    17290918142978015657807477144424.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Just my take. Using emt or pipe for an equipment ground is fine and has been proven to be better than a wire type ground.

But how many times have you seen EMT or ridged with loose locknuts and with EMT pipe pulled out of connectors and couplings. Some due to bad workmanship but in my opinion a wire type ground is good insurance.

Not to say if I am replacing an ac unit and there is no wire type EG And it is in metallic pipe if I can insure the pipe EGC is compliant i am not repulling the conductors.

In my area however it is common practice to pull an egc with any new work.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I know the EMT itself is a mechanical ground but I noticed they pulled a ground into one of the pipes AND added a ground bar inside the pull box so it got me wondering are they going to pull a ground into each pipe entering the SAME pull box
The ground bar is there to terminate the MC cables EGC's to the box. An EGC in the EMT is optional.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Also, if there are splices made, then the EGC of that circuit, if of a wire type, should be spliced and bonded to the box. NEC 250.148

I see it often in commercial and industrial establishments where they just land the bar when they install the box to avoid future issues.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Just my take. Using emt or pipe for an equipment ground is fine and has been proven to be better than a wire type ground.

But how many times have you seen EMT or ridged with loose locknuts and with EMT pipe pulled out of connectors and couplings. Some due to bad workmanship but in my opinion a wire type ground is good insurance.

Not to say if I am replacing an ac unit and there is no wire type EG And it is in metallic pipe if I can insure the pipe EGC is compliant i am not repulling the conductors.

In my area however it is common practice to pull an egc with any new work.
I typically pull a ground. I've seen enough loose set setscrew or a loose or broken locken nut not to solely rely on the conduit as a bond.