Pull station in riser room

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a code reference. A nearby community several years ago was requiring manual pull stations installed nearby the water flows and tampers. The reasoning behind it was that if the sprinkler system was being worked on, an individual could initiate an alarm if the sprinkler was disabled due to maintenance. Does anyone recall where we could find this in either NFP
A 72 or perhaps 13. I will find numerous requirements from various communities when I google this, but no code reference.

nhfire77

I am looking for a code reference. A nearby community several years ago was requiring manual pull stations installed nearby the water flows and tampers. The reasoning behind it was that if the sprinkler system was being worked on, an individual could initiate an alarm if the sprinkler was disabled due to maintenance. Does anyone recall where we could find this in either NFP
A 72 or perhaps 13. I will find numerous requirements from various communities when I google this, but no code reference.

Sounds like a local AHJ requirement.

5.13.6 states one within five feet of every exit door, every floor.

We always spec a pull at the door of the riser room, typically its an exterior door that would require one regardless of the fact its the riser room

I would just do it and if the customer complains kindly explain the its the AHJ not me!

The fire department was not citing 5.13.6 as the reason for installing the pull station at the tampers/flow switches. They specifically indicated it was a code requirement to have it nearby the riser so that if a sprinkler technician was working on the sprinklers, they could pull the manual to initiate an alarm. And it did not matter if the riser room had an exterior door or not. I agree it might be a local AHJ, however if you google it you will find many local AHJ's around the country have required it.

Davis9

Why do they write the book if the AHJ can make up the rules as they go? Never understood that. Ask for it in writing. It needs to be a written law/rule. You can bet that not everyone has to do it that way in that town...

Tom:roll:

Davis9

Sounds like a local AHJ requirement.

5.13.6 states one within five feet of every exit door, every floor.

We always spec a pull at the door of the riser room, typically its an exterior door that would require one regardless of the fact its the riser room

I would just do it and if the customer complains kindly explain the its the AHJ not me!

And this is why they(AHJ) keep doing it with no substatiation.IMO

Tom

Now I remember why I dislike Fire Inspections.LOL Had one last week where the HO was about to pass out when they mentioned Sprinklering a 50 unit building that is occupied and been that way for 80+years. The HO said,"Here's the keys."

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

NFPA 72-2007

6.8.5.1.2* For fire alarm systems employing automatic fire detectors or waterflow detection devices, at least one fire alarm box shall be provided to initiate a fire alarm signal. This fire alarm box shall be located where required by the authority having jurisdiction.

nhfire77

And this is why they(AHJ) keep doing it with no substantiation.IMO

Tom

Now I remember why I dislike Fire Inspections.LOL Had one last week where the HO was about to pass out when they mentioned Sprinklering a 50 unit building that is occupied and been that way for 80+years. The HO said,"Here's the keys."

I was not condoning freelance inspectors. I meant that there are soooooooooooo many local regulations that I am not going to challenge the inspector when its local code. Yes Fire Alarms can be a PITA. That's how I make $, by taking on PITA jobs and inspectors.

And might I remind us all (I mean in no way to direct this towards just you Davis9) the code is a minimum and adding extra devices to err on the side of caution is a good thing. If, you have a high hazard occupancy and the sprinkler system is properly maintained, you will have instances when the sprinkler contractor is working on riser "one" and then riser "two" might start flowing. You have disabled all the sprinkler points/zones while they are worked on, but when riser "two" flows, it could be a fire and you can pull the hook. Better safe than sorry.

Besides going above and beyond the minimum might save a life, and maybe you make a little extra coin as well.

(IMHO: Making extra money cannot be the only justification for going above and beyond code.)

Davis9

No offense meant or taken, I would bet it cost more than it makes over time to comply unless your time dealing isn't free.LOL. I agree that it is a minimum. More is sometimes better but when is it enough?

Way too open ended.

Tom

FWIW it says "this" meaning "one"?:confused:

NFPA 72-2007

6.8.5.1.2* For fire alarm systems employing automatic fire detectors or waterflow detection devices, at least one fire alarm box shall be provided to initiate a fire alarm signal. This fire alarm box shall be located where required by the authority having jurisdiction.

We had a set of plans. The designer had put it on the plan, and it was installed as such. One of my techs questioned why it was there, I knew it was in the code, but I could not find the reference.

cadpoint

Most sprinkler crews, I've been around will put a system into monitored or stand by mood if their that much into a required service repair.
I'm frankly missing something that a sprinkler man would be pulling on a device! I've never seen that requirement, I'll be looking for it!

If you think about it for a minute any of their servicing is just like ours, something needs to be turned off or secured for a proper fix, in most cases!

I understand the five foot rule, just key that in mind if one has a large glass store front! :)

Stallzer

Why do they write the book if the AHJ can make up the rules as they go? Never understood that. Ask for it in writing. It needs to be a written law/rule. You can bet that not everyone has to do it that way in that town...

Tom:roll:

Simple, a National code is needed as a base on whats required. Allowing the AHJ to control his own back yard is also required. You can't have the same code in a Fire Code nightmare of a city like Chicago as the one in podunk Iowa, occupancy, location, building type and economic stability will come into play. why stop at local AHJ? Don't forget ADA, and IBC they also play a huge roll in todays Fire Code. We have a Municipality here that requires a LCD Annunciator in the Main Water / Sprinkler room.

Status
Not open for further replies.