Pull Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

In a multi-tenant commercial high rise, in addition to pull stations with 5 feet of any stairwell, a pull station is of course required. I am also in the habit of adding pull stations where one leaves a suite. So if there are 5 tenants on any given floor, there would be additional pull stations each please where that company's suite has a door to the common area.

Common practice or not, is this, strictly speaking, a code requirement.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
In a multi-tenant commercial high rise, in addition to pull stations with 5 feet of any stairwell, a pull station is of course required. I am also in the habit of adding pull stations where one leaves a suite. So if there are 5 tenants on any given floor, there would be additional pull stations each please where that company's suite has a door to the common area.

Common practice or not, is this, strictly speaking, a code requirement.
I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. Pull stations are required within 5' of an exit doorway and each exit from a level above or below the level of discharge. You can put additional pull stations as you please, keeping in mind that there can be only 200' maximum of travel distance to a pull station. In most occupancies this isn't an issue.

Pull stations for each tenant are not required, unless the tenant happens to occupy the exit doorway or stair access space. They are not otherwise required by code. Personally, on a floor with multiple suites I wouldn't bother with tenant pull stations. Every time a tenant remodels you can wind up moving a pull station. Plus, there is the question of access to the tenant space for testing, does the tenant have to have their own fire alarm system, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.