pullbox vs junction box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmalker

Just curious to know what's the difference between pullbox and JB?

I am sorry if I'm asking easy questions I should already know. it seems like this forum is for experience people only. Maybe someone can direct me to a forum for beginners

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: pullbox vs junction box

Originally posted by tcmalker: Maybe someone can direct me to a forum for beginners
This is it. :D :D We are here to help each other learn. And we are all in need of learning, no matter how long we?ve been in the trade.

That said, I don?t know the difference either. :confused: Clearly the intent of the two boxes is different. One is to make it possible to pull conductors in a long run of conduit. The other is to provide a location within a raceway for making connections. But if I wanted to buy one or the other, I don?t know whether I need to look for different types of boxes. My guess is that the same box can be taken off the shelf and used for either purpose.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

In my opinion the only difference is in the use of the box. If it has splices or terminations, it is a juction box. If the conductors are pulled through without splices or terminations, it is a pull box.
Don

codeunderstanding

Doesnt the code change to pull boxes from junction boxes after a #4 wire? There is no cubic inch for wire size after #6. With that said, I wonder how you would size a junction box where you run interior wire, and would have to change over to direct burial wire to feed maybe a outdoor building?

Status
Not open for further replies.