Pulling Bodies

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So if you have many parallel runs of 4" conduit I believe someone previously mentioned c conduit bodies as a pull point are not practical and a pull box would be better. Curious as to why.

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
Size. The opening is a conduit body is small compared to a pull box. You mentioned a 4” conduit I can assume a straight through pull, code would require a 32” box. The opening size in a 4” conduit is nowhere near that size. If you are working with large wire that goes inside 4” conduit you want all the room you can get

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So if you have many parallel runs of 4" conduit I believe someone previously mentioned c conduit bodies as a pull point are not practical and a pull box would be better. Curious as to why.
Big conduit often equals large conductors...even the code minimum pull box with a 32" opening is often not practical for pulling large conductors.
The same rules for the size of the opening that apply to pull boxes also apply to C fittings, unless you C fitting is listed and marked as permitted in 314.28(A)(3). Note that only the last paragraph will apply to a C fitting. The typical marking only accounts for 3 conductors and many circuits will have 4 conductors.
What is the size and number of conductors in your 4" conduit runs.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Big conduit often equals large conductors...even the code minimum pull box with a 32" opening is often not practical for pulling large conductors.
The same rules for the size of the opening that apply to pull boxes also apply to C fittings, unless you C fitting is listed and marked as permitted in 314.28(A)(3). Note that only the last paragraph will apply to a C fitting. The typical marking only accounts for 3 conductors and many circuits will have 4 conductors.
What is the size and number of conductors in your 4" conduit runs.
4#600 & 1#500G..yup #500G.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
4#600 & 1#500G..yup #500G.
Unusual to see that specified correctly for a parallel installation.

Assuming what ever you install will actually be used a pull point, I would be looking at a large pull box...wide enough for all the runs to fit across the width and at least 48" in the other direction.

A conduit body is out of the question, unless you are 100% sure that the conductors will be pulled through the C fitting. Even if you are sure that it won't be used as a pull point it will still have to be sized as one and you will need to find a C with an opening at least 32" long and the type permitted by 314.21(A)(3) will not be marked for those size conductors.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Unusual to see that specified correctly for a parallel installation.

Assuming what ever you install will actually be used a pull point, I would be looking at a large pull box...wide enough for all the runs to fit across the width and at least 48" in the other direction.

A conduit body is out of the question, unless you are 100% sure that the conductors will be pulled through the C fitting. Even if you are sure that it won't be used as a pull point it will still have to be sized as one and you will need to find a C with an opening at least 32" long and the type permitted by 314.21(A)(3) will not be marked for those size conductors.
The opeing you obviously mean where the cover goes?? 32" geez do they even make. C with a 32" opening?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
No, it's not a conduit body it's a pull box.
I was referring to Don's response.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Another consideration if you use a box or trough for a pull point is your conduits will have be sturdy on each side and your team should brace the inside of the enclosure (between the two opposing sides) with 2x4's or something to keep the box from collapsing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The opeing you obviously mean where the cover goes?? 32" geez do they even make. C with a 32" opening?
Maybe I am a bit off, as the code language says the length of the or conduit body shall not be less than 8 times the conduit trade size for a straight pull, so maybe the conduit opening could be a bit less than 32". Here is one that the manufacturer says complies with the code requirement. The overall is about 35" and the cover opening about 29".

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Maybe I am a bit off, as the code language says the length of the or conduit body shall not be less than 8 times the conduit trade size for a straight pull, so maybe the conduit opening could be a bit less than 32". Here is one that the manufacturer says complies with the code requirement. The overall is about 35" and the cover opening about 29".
Nice find but at $2000 I think that a pull box is cheaper and you're still not pulling 4-600's in and out of that thing. :giggle: