Purge Requirements in a Hazardous Enviroment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone tell me how I can get the Purge Requirements for any Hazardous Locations?

I have had a lot of people tell me, "You need THIS", or "You need THAT". And I ask, why? Or what standard does that follow, and they can not tell me.

What I'm looking for is a NEC Standard or ANY standard that tells me that when I am in Class X Group X Div X, I need Y to safely operate electrical equipment in this environment.

THX!!!

rcwilson

Re: Purge Requirements in a Hazardous Enviroment

Take a look at NFPA 496 "Standard for Purged and Pressurized Enclosures for Electrical Equipment" 2003. It defines the Type X, Y, Z purging.

But it still will take some thinking to determine what equipment to install.

Good Luck.

Thank you for the reply.

Can you steer me in the direction of where I can find the before mentioned document? For that matter, where can I find a copy of the NEC?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

They are both publications of the NFPA. They can be purchased from that web site.

I would caution you that this is not a "do it yourself" type project. It would probably be best if you just turned this over to someone qualified to handle it.

Thanks for your concern.

The project has been completed successfully already. All purged equipment was spec'ed by the customer for whom this equipment has been installed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.