Put it off long enough, time to buy a megger

five.five-six

Let’s start off with I’m cheep and cantankerous. That said, quality can be much cheeper than buying cheep. Last week I was clamping some loads for a generator proposal and my Fluke 80i-410 gave up the ghost. I had paid about $500 for it 30+ years ago. I think I got my money out of it. No local supply house had one in stock so I ended up buying “the best” Klein that HD had to offer. I would have rather bout another fluke but I needed it for the days work. Maybe I’ll buy me a better one and issue that one to one of my guys. I digress.

I’m about 85% confident that I’m getting this generator job. I’m gong to be putting 250’ of 480V 500KCML underground and if it ever was a good idea to have a megger, this would be it. I’m probably getting a few more gen jobs from this customer too. It makes sense to buy rather than to rent So long as I can get sufficient quality for a price I can stomach. I remember that once upon a time, a MIT310 was considered a good megger. The eBay prices for a good condition used one are right in my wheelhouse. Would that be a sufficient piece of equipment?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I know nothing about the MIT310.
My Flukes were less than $400 new from one of my CED supply houses. I bought one for each of my service trucks. Small shop so only three of them, but we could be 100 miles from the guy that had it. I’d buy them again at whatever price they are today.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Fluke makes a combo DVM and Insulation tester. It was too easy to use so for a while I would check with the good old hand crank megger. Eventually the megger went on the shelf