PV Disco location, hardly a new topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is really getting to me. One interpertation of the code is invalidated by another. we should have the AHJ write the book!
So
PV Disco located at nearest point of entrance of PV DC system conductors is considered "Accessable" even if behing a locked door. Correct? (110.26 (G))
PV system conductors ( over 100Voc under 600)may be in PVC conduit if PV DC disco is "... nearest point of entrance of system (DC) conductors" 690.14(C)(1)
690.31 (E) states that if Disco is remote (does that mean out of site of from point of entrance and Inverter?) conductors must be in metal conduit.
Help, please!! I dont want to have to start installing a $200 sw and more wire when , according to John Wiles the FD has a key to every lock in the country! (fire ax)
How many elect utiltuy rooms with inverters in them are locked? Most? or few?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Check with your AHJ and your utility because they sometimes require a disconnect by the meter.

690.14(C) shows the req. as you pointed out. It must be installed at a readily accessible location outside the building or inside nearest the point of entry.

I don't worry about the FD as many panels are behind locked doors.

Yes, the disco by the meter, as required by our utility, is the AC Net Metering Disco, as they cant/wont pull the meter, the meter service breaker cant be trusted and neither can UL 1741 regarding cessation of power production by gridtied inverters.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
PV Disco located at nearest point of entrance of PV DC system conductors is considered "Accessable" even if behing a locked door. Correct? (110.26 (G))

I don't think that 'accessible to qualified persons' is the same as 'readily accessible.'

PV system conductors ( over 100Voc under 600)may be in PVC conduit if PV DC disco is "... nearest point of entrance of system (DC) conductors" 690.14(C)(1)

Yes, if you have a disconnect 'outside or inside nearest the point of entrance', then the DC run does not have to be in metal raceway inside the building. In practice, I have never seen a DC run that was not in metal raceway.

690.31 (E) states that if Disco is remote (does that mean out of site of from point of entrance and Inverter?) conductors must be in metal conduit.

'Remote' means from the point of entry of the system conductors into a building. Think of it this way: If I comply with 690.31(E) inside a building, I can put the disco closer to the inverter than the point of entry. If the conductors are all outside, I can put the disco wherever I want.

Status
Not open for further replies.