PV disconnect

Danielt

Occupation
Master Electrician
Can the load-side service connection in 705.12B, the breaker, be used for the disconnect required by 690.13? I'm in the 2017 Code

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Can the load-side service connection in 705.12B, the breaker, be used for the disconnect required by 690.13? I'm in the 2017 Code
By code, probably, but by most utilities' requirements, no. Nearly all (maybe all) require a separate disconnect in addition to a backfed breaker.

pv_n00b

Some utilities will use the meter as the visible blade disconnect. If you have a feed-through meter and that typically limits it to single phase less than 400A. One of the few nice things utilities have done for the PV industry. They realized after a while that no one will go around and lock out dozens of PV disconnects on a distribution segment before working on it and the real reason for the locking disconnect was to isolate naughty customers. They can do that by bagging the meter and tossing it in the truck.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I had not heard of that. So there is a fully rated contactor in the smart meter? Must be pretty small.
One of the utilities in our area will do that when fire dispatch calls and requests the utility to respond to a fire. Of course, that only works with self contained meters.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I had not heard of that. So there is a fully rated contactor in the smart meter? Must be pretty small.
The 200A ones Tesla and Enphase use in their resi MIDs are only 3-4" in the longest dimension, they would fit. Not sure about 320A meters.

Aside from what I read online, a few years ago I had a friend whose power was shut off because his partner stopped paying the bill. Nobody had come out, and it happened at a random time irrc. Once he sent them a payment it came back on pretty quickly.