PV Flat Roof Set Backs NYC

kaveenkw123

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Im working on a solar rooftop design for a flat roof in NYC Theres a lot of exhaust fans and vents on the roof. My understanding is that for a building less than 250' in length and width; theres should be an access pathway of 4'. Additionally regardless of building size a setback of 4' from all roof obstructions including HVAC eqpmnt and misc of pathway as well.
With these set backs there isnt much space left for a solar array, before i tell the client about this; has anyone come across a way to make exceptions from these setbacks? See picture attached for reference
Facility is a homeless shelter so can it be considered a residential type R3 group so the setbacks would be less?
Please help.

Attachments

• ffff.jpg
    ffff.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 9

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A roof of more than 250' in both length and width must have a 6' clear perimeter, but less than 250' in either dimension enables it to be 4'. You'll need a 4' perimeter around any roof hatches and a clear path to the perimeter but not around vent pipes (at least that's how it is in Texas). RTUs have to have clearance around them plus a 4' clear path to the perimeter so that they can be serviced and gotten to.

Rooftop PV arrays cannot be more than 150' in either dimension, there must be an 8' wide gap between sections, and of course there are rapid shutdown considerations.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
R3 would be different and might not require setbacks at all in most places per the IFC, BUT...

I'm doubtful it's R3. Less than 10 occupants (transient)?

And, NYC isn't most places and I would be surprised if they didn't have some special rules for R3 like San Francisco. Ours were a 3ft setback on the street side and a 3ft path to the rear of the building. YMMV.