PV Module Conductors and the Squirrels that Love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressure

Occupation
Design Engineer
I am trying to figure out if anyone can tell me why rodents of various types love to eat the conductor insulation off of the Modules? Does it have to do with the insolation material, DC output VS AC output? The reason for the question is a "best practices" situation I am finding myself in with Ground Mounts and Direct Burial Conductors.
I have had multiple repairs come my way with squirrels munching through the Module conductors on rooftops. And I was wondering if any experienced Electricians have had similar issues with Direct Burial Conductors and Rodents that find them? I know that Encore PV wire is DB rated up to 2000V and it would save me a ton of money to not use PVC, but I would be upset with myself if 5 to 10 years down the road, some rodent found the conductors and munched right through them.
I see lots of Direct Burial Service Conductors, and wonder if they have a different jacket that rodents just don't go for, or is it AC VS. DC?
Any thoughts?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm an electrician, not a biologist, but what I've heard is either that the rodents go for the taste of certain oils or other substances in the wire insulation, or else they are just looking for something to wear their teeth on. It may depend on the squirrels themselves, they're not necessarily all the same everywhere. Only thing I'm pretty sure of is that the electrical characteristics of the circuit have zilch to do with it. Wish I could tell you if DB conductor insulation is different from rooftop PV wire or TCER but I don't know.

Pressure

Occupation
Design Engineer
Thank you for the insight. I would like to start using URD Conductors for long AC runs. Have the Inverters at the Array then combine the output from each, and run direct burial conductors to the Disconnect next to PoC. But for longer runs, a recent one has been 950', I would like to utilize the high voltage from the Array output for voltage drop purposes. And that would require the Encore Wire PV wire that is rated at 2000V Direct Burial. I know it is rated and listed to meet these requirements. But is it best practices, and do I run the risk of a rodent finding it?

Status
Not open for further replies.