PV System Around Pool for Low Voltage LED Step Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve619877

Hello, First post here.

I am wrapping up a pool and deck renovation for a customer in the DFW region. Customer is now requesting I install low voltage deck step lights which will be located less than 5 feet from the pool water. Although I’ve installed many conventional 411.1 low voltage luminaries around pools, I have limited experience with solar, and will sub out this install if we proceed. But want to set proper customer expectations as to whether this is feasible.

Owner desires 12v solar off grid and is requesting this package system setup for this step lighting package.

The Panel:
Maximum Power: 100W Monocrystaline [h=1][/h]
Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 18.9VOpen-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 22.5V
Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.29AShort-Circuit Current (Isc): 5.75A

The Charge Controller:

Nominal System Voltage: 12V/24V Auto RecognitionMax Solar Input Voltage: 100 VDC
Rated Battery Current: 20AMounting Oval: 0.30 x 0.18in
Rated Load Current: 20ANet Weight: 3.08 lb.
Max. PV Input Short Current: 25ADischarge circuit voltage drop: ≤ 0.15V
Max. Battery Voltage: 32VOverall Dimension: 8.27 x 5.94 x 2.34 in

Fuse Cable:

Length: 2ftCurrent Rating: 20A
Rating Voltage: AC Uo/U 0.6/1 KV, DC 1.8KVVoltage Rating: 72V
Temperature: -40°F to +194°FInterrupt Capacity: 180A (48V)

The Battery:

• Cells per unit: 6
  • Voltage per unit: 12
  • Capacity: 100Ah at 20-hour-rate to 1.75-Volt per cell at 25°C
  • Maximum discharge current: 1000 Amp (5-second)
  • Normal operating temperature range: 25C5C
  • Float charging voltage: 13.6 to 13.8 VDC/unit average at 25°C
  • Recommended maximum charging current: 20 Amp
  • Container material: A.B.S. UL94-HB

Lights:

4.5 watt 12 volt DC LED lights, 5 total.

Hence my questions, since this system is an inverter-less stand alone PV System of less than 30 volts feeding a utilization load of 22.5 watts, does this minimalist system fly under the scope of Section 680.2 and Section 680.22(B)(6)? Would 411.1 be applicable code here? Does anyone see a potential disapproval scenario from an inspector for a less than 5 foot from water lighting installation. Panel, charge controller and battery will be 20 feet from water. I will have to investigate, but I also believe the listing and labeling requirements of Atricle 690 are met on this package.

Thank you.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
At first glance at the code sections you've mentioned it seems this is legit. But I've never considered the question or done such an install before, so take with that grain of salt.

Steve619877

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I have attached a photo of the project area. As you can see by the conduit runs, the original plan for the customer was to install our 411.1 compliant fountain/cave lights in the steps as part of a system with my standard transformer (labeled and listed) for pool lights. Deck steps are to be brushed concrete, then travertine pavers on top. The originally proposed lighting would all have complied under the scope of 411.1.

The customer expressed a desire to have these step lights sourced from solar, which is what prompted my original question. Talking this over with my team and reviewing articles 680 and 690, we agree with the opinions expressed herein.

This whole discussion does provoke some thoughts about the following. At what point does a solar light no longer fall under the scope of the NEC when installed within 5 feet of the pool? Has anyone heard of an inspector disallowing a single "Home Depot" type LED stake light with a AA 1.2v 800 mAh battery placed right next to a pool?

I appreciate the feedback.

IMG_0743.jpg

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
At what point does a solar light no longer fall under the scope of the NEC when installed within 5 feet of the pool? Has anyone heard of an inspector disallowing a single "Home Depot" type LED stake light with a AA 1.2v 800 mAh battery placed right next to a pool?

If there's field wiring then it falls under the NEC. A 'Home Depot LED stake light' doesn't have any field wiring and is presumably a listed assembly that may (or may not) meet a standard for being installed next to a pool. Ask the manufacturer. ;) It's debatable if a staked light is permanently 'installed' but if it is, there would only be one section of the NEC that would apply, which would be 110.3(B).

david

ARTICLE 411 Lighting Systems Operating at 30 Volts or Less

411.4 Specific Location Requirements .
(B) Pools, Spas, Fountains, and Similar Locations. Lighting systems shall be installed not less than 3 m (10 ft) horizontally from the nearest edge of the water, unless permitted by Article 680.

Status
Not open for further replies.