PV system Grounding conductors

Kaskiaski

New User
Occupation
Electrical Foreman
Don’t attack me if this has already been discussed, I’m in a pinch. Electrical foreman here, with a few years experience in solar.

I’m ordering my DC home run cables from my combiners to inverters. The engineered prints show THHN 600v rated conductors for my grounds. I was under the impression that the insulation type had to match voltage ratings of the current carrying conductors. All I could find was 300.3 which is not correct, and I feel I’m going crazy. Am I wrong here? Thanks for any help. For reference my DC voltage is consistently above 1200.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Don’t attack me if this has already been discussed, I’m in a pinch. Electrical foreman here, with a few years experience in solar.

I’m ordering my DC home run cables from my combiners to inverters. The engineered prints show THHN 600v rated conductors for my grounds. I was under the impression that the insulation type had to match voltage ratings of the current carrying conductors. All I could find was 300.3 which is not correct, and I feel I’m going crazy. Am I wrong here? Thanks for any help. For reference my DC voltage is consistently above 1200.
Grounding conductors can be bare copper, so their insulation rated voltage does not have to be equal to the circuit conductors for the same reason that grounded metal conduit does not have to be insulated on the inside.