PV tie in and buss protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO NE

Occupation
Engineer
Hi,

This is more of a poll than a question specifically because I have my opinion on it already but its been an area of contention between other engineers, electricians, and AHJ's before:

This is a common scenario, a photo-voltaic system that exceeds the 120% rule and can't be back-fed into a panel. The service is instrument transformer rated (i.e. more than 400 amps) and the utility requires there CT/PT cabinet to be cold sequence (i.e. Main switch before the cabinet) - this is where the problem comes in.

So the service looks like this: |3000A Main|---|CT Cabinet|---|Pull Section|---|Loads Section| (This is all bussed, no conductor or lugs; the buss is rated for 3000A)

The loads section doesn't have over current protection other than the service main and you can't tie the PV ahead of that main because its a cold sequence service so you'd be ahead of the meter.

Let's say the PV is 1MW AC @ 480 and needs a 1600A tie in point.

Let's assume we have manufacturer permission to do so and there is no UL issue...keep it simple...can you add 3000A OCPD for the loads section and tie in on a 3000A buss in the area of the pull section? In other words technically you have 3000A of utility feeding into the buss and 1600A of PV on the buss (4600A of source on a 3000A buss) but you can never exceed 3000A because 100% of loads are behind the new breaker. As far as I can tell the NEC doesn't really have anything specific that addresses this...unless I am missing something. Some electricians swear by this some AHJs in our area swear against it so I want to see what the community has to say. Basically the argument for is that the NEC doesn't say you can't and logically it makes sense that can (draw out the vectors you will never exceed 3000A on the buss), what AHJs say is that this is a supply side interconnect and the NEC only allows a supply side interconnect when metering is HOT sequenced, meaning you are tapping on the supply side of the service main. The usually continue the argument stating what prevents someone from adding another loads panel in that same pull section, and the electrician responds saying they will placard the panel to have no new loads.

I would also add that in this case that pull section would likey become very obviously unavailable for anything new to be added because of space constraints but maybe that is a more plausible argument for smaller equipment (say this was a 600A service and we were trying to feed in 600A of solar using enclosed breakers, you may still have a position on the buss where new loads could be tied ahead of the loads panel). Personally, I would also think that any new loads section to a bussed piece of gear would likely have a permit (I would think large enough work you don't have a fly by night guy adding bugs to a conductor and adding a new loads panel without telling anyone).

One related actual question that recently came up because this scenario lends itself well to ask while I have your attention: Again say you can modify the panel and manufacturer gives its blessing, and also assuming that you are in the camp that you can in fact just add OCPD to the loads section and everything is good (or say we aren't exceeding the buss if you dont agree with that), in this scenario could you use 3000A fuses in that pull section to protect the loads section and lug the PV to the line side of the fuses . In other words it is not a fused disconnect, just fuse holders added to the buss and fuses placed there. The only thing I could think of is that it is serviceable equipment and the fuses themselves need a disconnecting means to be replaced, the main breaker is less than 6 feet away, would a placard identifying that as the disconnect to service the fuses be adequate? Does it actually need a placard (I know there is a difference between can and should, I am just wondering the code says here)? Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks,
Steve

A few brief comments:. You need to differentiate between panelboards and switchboards. The 120% rule is for panelboards. If you have 3000 amp gear, it's not a panelboard. You can tie into the load side of a switchboard either by making a bus tap (ahj's often have different levels of rigor for how this is done), or using a breaker/fuse in the gear. Another option may be to tap into the load side of the ct's. Yet another option may be to do a supply side connection, but in your case this would require another metering cabinet. The nec doesn't care about metering so that would be up to your utility.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
...As far as I can tell the NEC doesn't really have anything specific that addresses this...unless I am missing something.

Actually, in my opinion 705.12(B)(2)(1)(b) in the 2017 NEC addresses and permits your described connection precisely. (Replace 'B' with 'D' for 2014 code reference.) As much as some people are not in the habit of thinking of busbars as feeders, they meet the NEC definition. If your line diagram were the same but you were tapping field installed conductors instead of factory installed bussing, there should be no controversy. Factory installed bussing raises the issue of using listed equipment as instructed, but if the manufacturer approves then you have no issue with violating the listing. And as electrofelon already said, in the 2017 and 2014 NECs, other rules for busbars only apply to panelboards, and you are clearly describing a switchboard. The 120% rule does NOT apply here. (Note: the 2020 NEC may change that last part and confuse the situation, but that's in the future.)

...what AHJs say is that this is a supply side interconnect and the NEC only allows a supply side interconnect when metering is HOT sequenced, meaning you are tapping on the supply side of the service main.

AHJs shouldn't be telling you that nonsense, as the NEC contains zero requirements for where meters are located. You have described a load side connection. It just happens that's your only real option given the metering situation you've described.

The usually continue the argument stating what prevents someone from adding another loads panel in that same pull section, and the electrician responds saying they will placard the panel to have no new loads.

I don't know what code section would make this an issue for a load side connection. This argument stems from the false premise of a supply-side connection.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
So when applying PV to a panel, we've concerns of overloading and pursuant parameters, none of which apply to the service entrance ,or line side taps.

I'm obviously missing the theory here.....:(~RJ~

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So when applying PV to a panel, we've concerns of overloading and pursuant parameters, none of which apply to the service entrance ,or line side taps.

I'm obviously missing the theory here.....:(~RJ~

Service conductors have no overcurrent protection at the source (utility transformer), only at the load (service equipment). They are protected from overload entirely by the load overcurrent device(s). (Actually, strictly speaking, they may be protected only by a load calculation.) Adding another source on the line side of the load overcurrent device(s) changes none of that. The maximum power that can flow to the loads does not change, regardless of whether it comes from the utility or the interconnected source. And because power cannot flow in more than one direction on a conductor, there is no other place that the sources can add together and overload an overcurrent device. Thus a supply side connection can go up to the rating of the service; that's basically the only rule there.

With load side connections, you are normally relying on an upstream overcurrent device to protect a feeder (or panelboard busbar, which is arguably still a type of feeder). Add another source on the load side, and you can exceed what the feeder or panelboard is rated for. Depending on the exact location of sources and loads, it's possible to overload the feeder or panelboard. Thus a whole bunch of rules come into play to prevent that.

Status
Not open for further replies.