PVC coated rigid

Status
Not open for further replies.

genesparky

I have a job coming up that requires PVC Coated Rigid Galvanized Steel Conduit. Does anybody now if I can get away with my existing greenlee benders and Rigid threading machine and dies. The T and B web site would have me investing in all new Dies and shoes.

Any Help?

tkb

The outside diameter of the PVC coated rigid is larger than the uncoated.

There are special bender shoes for some benders, but you should be able to use the next size larger of the standard shoes.

The threading is different.
If you are using a handheld threader like a Ridgid 700 with the 12-r dies, then you will need special dies that have the hole bored out a little larger to clear the coating.

If you are using a threading machine like a Ridgid 300 you don't need to change anything if you don't want to. Ridgid makes special jaws to hold the coated pipe but the knurled ones work.

You might have to fix damaged coating sometimes.
I used to smooth it out with a knife and then wrap with some tape and then spray with some PVC coating that you can get from the conduit manufacturer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am working on some 3/4 PVC coated rigid right now and it is working fine in the 3/4 shoe on the Greenlee 555.
Don

tkb

It's been a while since I installed any PVC coated.

We used the 1800 Chicago bender and a Enerpac Cyclone bender.

For the most part the smaller sizes worked in the shoes for their size, but some of the sizes would leave ridges on the sides of the bends.

I would also use strap wrenches to tighten the pipe and fittings.
You should also make up a split piece of pipe that you could use to hold the pipe when working with a tripod chain vice.

I believe Rob-Roy or Permacote has some tips on installation at their websites.
http://www.permacote.com/index.cfm

When you use the correct tools and fittings, PVC coated looks sweet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.