pvc conduit entering raintight cabinets

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

Is it allowable to enter a raintight cabinet using a PVC terminal adaptor and sealing locknut?. The white papers say that hubs are only intended for rmc/imc, and not pvc. I have a job where I am going to need to use pvc exclusively from a raintight MDP any thoughts would be appreciated. Ive used TA's and sealing locknuts on CT cabinets in the past with no problem, but that was service not feeder/branch circuits.

jeff

A few things worth noting:

1. Note that it depends on where you enter the cabinet. I dont have my code book with me to reference the exact wording, but I believe you need a wet location fitting only if above live parts. Note also and interestingly, I believe the wording is a bit different for meter enclosures.

2. Sealing locknuts and Myers hubs are technically only listed for RMC/IMC. Yes very often used in conjuction with fittings and not widely enforced.

3. I believe the only fully compliant way to enter a wet location cabinet above live parts with a PVC TA is to use the manufacturers O-ring that is made for the purpose.

Personally, I would probably ignore the listing technicality and use a myers hub.

FREEBALL

Yea I was planning on the O rings but they don't list one for 2- 1/2 in for a feeder. I will probably go with the orings and then use a sealing locknut for the 2 1/2, even though sealing locknuts aren't compliant w/ pvc supposedly, but garvin makes one and states its to be used with pvc , so will see thanx for the advice I appreciate it

jeff

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When entering the top of a 3R enclosure I have used a hub, a short rigid nipple and a PVC female adapter. Not real pretty but it is compliant and it will not leak.

Carultch

Is it allowable to enter a raintight cabinet using a PVC terminal adaptor and sealing locknut?. The white papers say that hubs are only intended for rmc/imc, and not pvc. I have a job where I am going to need to use pvc exclusively from a raintight MDP any thoughts would be appreciated. Ive used TA's and sealing locknuts on CT cabinets in the past with no problem, but that was service not feeder/branch circuits.

jeff

There are listed sealing gaskets that are meant for use with PVC male adapters, which you would then use with a standard locknut. If not available, the proper way to do this is with a Myers hub, RMC close nipple, and PVC female adapter.
https://www.platt.com/CutSheets/Carlon/E943DW.pdf

Sealing locknuts and Myers hubs are only officially qualified to be used with RMC/IMC conduit, even though the PVC male adapters are tapered to the NPT spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.