PVC indoor use

Status
Not open for further replies.

butch

I had a few questions brought up about the use of PVC being used for indoor applications. Is it permissable to use PVC inside a commercial building.If its exposed and not concealed behind a fire rated wall or ceiling. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again your help has always been very professional and helpful!!

kevin

Re: PVC indoor use

Article 352 Rigid Nonmetallic Conduit: Type RNC.
352.10 Uses Permitted. (A) through (H).
352.12 Uses Not Permitted. (A) through (F).
For most commercial buildings, PVC is OK. If subject to physical damage (a judgment call if exposed) it must be identified for such use, i.e., Schedule 80. If concealed, Schedule 40 is allowed.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Recently I went to a link from mike that was for 2005 proposals.There was one I think :confused: That dealt with this subject.it seems to me that pvc inside walls or dropped ceilings was going to taboo ( heat factor )Did anyone save it ??? If you did please send it to me.Or maybe I saw a ghost,LOL.later guys Allen

websparky

Allen,

Does this look familiar?
(1) The electrical nonmetallic tubing or rigid nonmetallic conduit is installed concealed within walls, floors, and ceilings where the walls, floors, and ceilings provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies.
(2) The electrical nonmetallic tubing or rigid nonmetallic conduit is installed above suspended ceilings where the suspended ceilings provide a thermal barrier of material that has at least a 15-minute finish rating as identified in listings of fire-rated assemblies. Electrical nonmetallic tubing and rigid nonmetallic conduit are not recognized for use in other space used for environmental air in accordance with 300.22(C).
2005 NEC Draft

butch

Thanks so much for your replys. I had one electrician on my job that says you cant use it indoors because of the smoke in a fire situation.Hes saying it would hide the escape route. Thanks again I sure learn alot from this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.