Pvc vs metallic conduits for indoor use

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Occupation
Designer
Are there any reasons why metallic conduits are perfer to use for
indoor circuits in lieu of pvc conduits besides metallic conduits will provide a
better physical protection? Does code prohibit to use exposed PVC conduit for indoor
feeder and branch circuits?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I thought there was some rule about toxic fumes PVC puts of when it burns as to why you couldn't use it indoors but I may be all wet on that one.

JAP>

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I thought there was some rule about toxic fumes PVC puts of when it burns as to why you couldn't use it indoors but I may be all wet on that one.

JAP>
When proposal to use PVC conduit inside buildings in mid 70's CMP rule against it, due to concerns over toxic fumes, the steel tube mfgs were against it. Carlon sued for restraint of trade, correctly pointing out there are other sources of toxic fumes in a building, this issue went all the way to the supreme court, and Carlon won.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Are there any reasons why metallic conduits are perfer to use for
indoor circuits in lieu of pvc conduits besides metallic conduits will provide a
better physical protection? Does code prohibit to use exposed PVC conduit for indoor
feeder and branch circuits?

Generally, PVC can be used inside, but where it can be used is based on the occupancy.
IMO, running PVC inside results in a DIY installation. And it is harder to install than EMT, as it has to be supported more often, and difficult to run exposed and make it look right.

jumper

When proposal to use PVC conduit inside buildings in mid 70's CMP rule against it, due to concerns over toxic fumes, the steel tube mfgs were against it. Carlon sued for restraint of trade, correctly pointing out there are other sources of toxic fumes in a building, this issue went all the way to the supreme court, and Carlon won.

Wow, did not know that. Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
That case was not about PVC conduit, it was about Electrical NonMetallic Tubing.
[FONT=&quot]486 U.S. 492 (1988)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]ALLIED TUBE & CONDUIT CORP.
v.
INDIAN HEAD, INC.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.