PWC Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

wirebender

We have a customer who wants to make his personal water craft (PWC) lift automatic.

He has a lift you drive the PWC up on that is operated at dock level with a switch that requires hands on operation.

He wants to be able to drive on the lift, hit a switch and the lift be raised up to dock level where he would dismount, swing the PWC over the dock and hit another switch to lower it to the dock.

I personally feel it would be unsafe but the customer is adamant.

Have any of you set up this kind of operation?
Most of the ones I have seen use ropes that extend to the water level, pull one rope to activate the switch for up and the other rope for down, but he doesn't want this.

If this is reasonable, where would I look for marine grade switches, limit switches and e-stops?

What I am really looking for is a law that says we can't do this. I would hate for some kid to hit one of the switches and get caught between the PWC and dock or whatever.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
What I am really looking for is a law that says we can't do this. I would hate for some kid to hit one of the switches and get caught between the PWC and dock or whatever.

There you go, tell them it's a liability issue, even if they promised they would not sue you, the next owner could!

cadpoint

Why not build a swing arm (boom) with a control module to swing over the boat and a build a stationary
limit switch to isolate the the lift, fence the sides of the dock and put a kill switch on the gate.

wirebender

This is what it looks like (not the actual one but from the website)

Swinger_LgImg.jpg

Swinger_Outboarded.gif

Swinger_with_JetBoat.gif

and this is the web site.

http://www.davitmaster.com/6_pwcLifts/swingerLift.asp

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The customer wants something that is not accomplished by the 'radio motor controls' or the 'rope lever switch' offered on the website?

-Jon

tkb

I am sure that the documentation from the lift states that it it not designed to lift people.

wirebender

The customer wants something that is not accomplished by the 'radio motor controls' or the 'rope lever switch' offered on the website?

-Jon

Yes, he wants to be able to push a button and walk away and do other things while the lift is going up or down. Hands free operation.

All the things on the web site are momentary switches, I believe.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
We have a customer who wants to make his personal water craft (PWC) lift automatic.
My sister/brother-in-law has, and they seem to be common, a "remote control" like a garage door operner that will lower and raise their boat hoist at Wrightsville Beach. I've no idea who the electrician was, but if you ask at a marina I'd guess you could find several who do that kind of work.

They do not normally stay in the boat while it is being raised, rather lowering and stabilizing a small (17 ft) boat by the floating finger dock, then hoisting to above high tide.

big john

What about putting impact switches on the back and side of this thing? They might be similar to those mounted on the bottom of commercial garage doors: When anything presses against them they automatically stop the operation of the lift until it is manually reset. The hardest part about that would be finding ones that could be temporarily submerged.

-John

cadpoint

What the guy wants would probably void the manufactures warranty, IMO!
I frankly think there will be a safety Code or Safety Rule of some sorts that will cover this one application.

Most machines are not set in motion without guards and safe working distances established and maintained. Most every button application I can think of is not a momentary contact it is a ?manned? maintained contact. Elevators have momentary but there also self enclosed.

I?d gate it and interface with a kill switch, next he will want to work the application from the house! Look out! JMO ;)

wawireguy

I wouldn't do this on a dock exposed to the public such as the one in the photo you showed. If it was in a enclosed docking area that only he had access to then I'd consider it. What happens if he docks his PWC and slips and gets his leg under the thing or the craft isn't on it straight and falls off. Or somone swims by and lounges on his dock..

Perhaps you can build something that uses infrared eyes of some kind that only a certain reflector can trigger so that only his craft fitted with the other side of the sensor would make it work? I'm kinda shooting in the dark on this one but the idea seems good. Put a panic button somewhere accesible in case his boat is falling off the thing. I'd have your lawyer draw up a we are not responsible contract for this one.. Maybe make him supply plans so he's the responsible party..

Does this guy know what it's going to cost for you to build this? By the time you research the materials and actually install it he'll probably have a coronary and not want it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.