[Q]: Sconce Wiring - Did I do good/bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkavan

OK here goes.

our first-floor bathroom has a j-box (JB #1) installed near the ceiling in a stud bay that's located as follows:

Code:
+------------------------------------------+
 |  Stud Bay #1 | Stud Bay #2 | Stud Bay #3 | 
 +--------------+-------------+-------------+
 |              |    JB #1    |             |
 |              |             |             |
 |              |             |             |
...i.e. a single light fixture was mounted here over a large rectangular mirror. we're replacing that mirror with a smaller oval mirror, and we'd like to add two sconce lighting fixtures to either side of the mirror. my plan was to splice off of the wires leading in to JB #1 (putting a cover over it to keep it accessible), run NM from JB #1 through a hole i've drilled into the stud to JB #2 for the first fixture, and run NM from JB #2 to through two additional stud holes i've drilled to JB #3 for the second fixture, as follows:

Code:
+------------------------------------------+
 |  Stud Bay #1 | Stud Bay #2 | Stud Bay #3 | 
 +--------------+-------------+-------------+
 |   +----------+-+   JB #1 --+------+      |
 |  /           |  \          |      |      |   <-- drywall
 | +--  JB #3   |   +---------+-+   JB #2   |          cutout
 |              |             |  \   |      |
 |  |  PVC  |   |             |   +--+      |
 |  |  Pipe |   |             |             |
    |       |
    |       |
...Stud Bays #2 and 3 are insulated. Stud Bay #1 is not insulated, but has a large PVC pipe running from floor to ceiling right through the center of the bay. i have about 2" of open space between the wallboard and the PVC pipe in that bay.

...originally, i had planned to only cut out holes in the drywall for a regular switch box with plaster ears, fishing NM wire to them and mounting the sconce fixtures to those boxes. the problem with this is that i couldn't find a switch box that has less than a 2" depth to fit on the left.

...so instead i have cut out a section of the drywall that spans across the 3 stud bays, and mounted two 4"x4"x1-1/2" deep j-boxes to the studs. on the left, in Stud Bay #1, i punched out a KO on the left side of the j-box and installed an NM clip in that KO hole. on the right, in Stud Bay #3, i run the NM through the top and bottom of the j-box through NM clips that are mounted on the inside of the back edge of the box (i couldn't do this on the left because there is not enough play between the back of the box and the PVC pipe to allow for the clip fastening screws to protrude at any length out of the back of the j-box - i.e. the back of JB #3 is sitting flush against the PVC pipe).

i have two questions/concerns about JB #3:

1) does it violate code in any way to install a JB in front of the PVC pipe like this, such that the back of the box is sitting flush against the piping?

2) the NM i run to JB #3 has to make a very sharp turn to get into the KO on the left side of the box; this "bend" is pretty much pressed snug between the left side of the j-box and the wooden stud that's just to the left of the box. should i be concerned about this?

TIA. -phil.

lazorko

Re: [Q]: Sconce Wiring - Did I do good/bad?

Phil, I don't know of a rule regulating proximity of jb's to plumbing. Assuming that the wire in jb #1 has a ground conductor to which you have connected the ground conductor of your new NM, I'd say you're good. The concern would be the tight bend into the last box. Code does specify minimum radius bends for wire - and from real world experience, I can tell you that the romex connector can "bite" into an NM jacket and short the inner conductors. Often this can take a while to manifest-sometimes years. If the box has been properly grounded, the circuit breaker (hopefully) would trip if the "hot" is the wire cut into; which brings the discussion back to whether there is a proper ground at jb#1. If jb#3 isn't properly grounded, the exposed metal parts of the fixtures will become energized, a situation we don't like to encounter, especially at the bathroom sink!!
If you have a question about the bend, it probably is too tight, and should be fixed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.