QEW LOTO

Controls 78

New User
Occupation
Controls Technician
My employer says I am not qualified to verify the absence of voltage, but requires me to do work in a cabinet once a QEW verifies. I feel like if I am doing the work, I should verify it is in a safe state, not just overlock and trust someone else. Any OSHA or NFPA rulings on this?

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
My employer says I am not qualified to verify the absence of voltage, but requires me to do work in a cabinet once a QEW verifies. I feel like if I am doing the work, I should verify it is in a safe state, not just overlock and trust someone else. Any OSHA or NFPA rulings on this?
Is your employer telling you that you cannot use your own Voltmeter to test for absence of voltage? If a QEW has already locked it out and verified, I can't see any hazard for you for checking again yourself.

Mark

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
LOTOs can be done incorrectly. Components can have more than one power source. I would urge you to check for power yourself.

My understanding is that you should check your meter on a known, live source of the same voltage rating as the item you will be working on. Then check the item you will be working on, and then check the meter on a live source once again.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
LOTOs can be done incorrectly. Components can have more than one power source. I would urge you to check for power yourself.

My understanding is that you should check your meter on a known, live source of the same voltage rating as the item you will be working on. Then check the item you will be working on, and then check the meter on a live source once again.
That is the correct way of doing it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You must put your own lock and tag, along with anybody else working on that equipment. Does your employer allow that?

mchp82

New User
Occupation
Electromechanical Technician
In my shop, a QEW who is designated as a "Primary Authorized Employee" has the signoff to begin a group LOTO - and they are responsible for zero energy verification.

If you're hanging your lock on their LOTO, they're the first lock on and the last lock off - but you're still expected to have a tailboard with that employee, know what you're working on, and ask any questions you have about the safety of the job, source isolation, etc.

The primary authorized is responsible for doing the zero energy verification - but nothing is stopping anyone who hangs their lock and is qualified to work on the equipment from doing their own checks. It can't hurt anything, and it can only protect you.

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Only QEWs should use a contact meter to check for the presence of voltage above 50V AND be suited up for the voltage and arc flash potential. (I say should...) This is covered in 70E. What some facilities do is a QEW verifies the absence of voltage and installs a tag. Then the worker installs a lockout. Kinda handy because you don't have to get the QEW to come back and remove their lockout. They can also be used to verify piping is safe to work on. A knowledgeable operator will close valves, open vents and drains and put tags on them.

Here is an example, but the ones I've seen also say "Not a Lockout":

1695715625789.png