Qualified vs Certified

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianb

Does anyone have a good definition on what is considered when we say "Qualified Electrician"
What exactly is a qualified electrician and what is the difference between Qualified and Certified?

Regards,

Brian

bphgravity

Re: Qualified vs Certified

Qualified Person: One who has the skills and knowledge related to the construction and operation of electrical equipment and installations and has received safety training on the hazards involved.

Certified Person: One who caries a certificate, vouchure, or license that is a statement of qualification.

Basically, all ceritifed electricans are considered qualified, but one does not necessarily need to be certified to be deemed qualified. :)

charlie

Bryan, I am not sure I agree with you. If I am certified as a Master Electrician and install new facilities for 30 years, am I considered a qualified person to work on an MCC hot? I don't think so. I would need training as to the hazards involved and need to know what PPE is needed for the situation.

In my opinion, the bottom line is that certified and qualified do not equate. I would be very interested in other opinions. :confused:

bphgravity

If an electrician is certified, he is deemed qualified at something. I didn't say everything. As with my definition, the certification is a statment of qualification. One should only work within the scope of their qualification and certification if required. The two ideas don't exactly equate, but do work off of each other. :confused:

gwz2

I rather agree with Charlies' orginal post.

Neither one is worth a 'darn' if the individual doesn't bother to open cabinets, or other enclosures, to see what was done inside.

Can not prove this statement, but I believe many "Certified" individuals would not know the proper grounding required for rmote panelboards on the load-side of the Service equipment.

Some seem to know the diagram(s), but when actually in the field and looking at the installed installation they get lost in enclosures with all 'those' conductors and termination points in the panelboard.

Can pass a written test, but oh, the actual field installation!

bphgravity

I feel this works both ways. I have known very good electricians that are extremely qualified, but can't even spell their own name correctly. I too believe that many electrical exams are designed to be failed not because of the electricians lack of qualification, but his lack of test taking skills. It is definitely a fact that there are many more qualified electricians than there are certified electricians. And it may as well be a fact that there are many certified electricians that are not all that qualified. In all cases, the work will speak for itself, and qualification is known immediately regardless of certification. But can you think of a better way to deem ones abilites? We can't throw out the idea of certification all together can we? :confused:

racraft

In my volunteer line of work I recertify as a medic every three years. This means I take both a written and a practical test. Certainly some of the questions are controversial, or just plain bad questions, but quite often individuals will score low on the exams, or even fail them, simply because they are bad test takers.

What I have observed over the years applies to every profession that requires an exam of any sort. Just because someone does well on a certifying exam, it does not mean they are good at the actual job in question. Likewise, just because someone scores low on an exam, it does not mean their skills are just marginal.

Hopefully, in all lines of work, exams are just one part of the certification process.

goodcode

Lots of good thoughts on this topic..
A "Qualified person" may be qualified to install branch circuit wiring in a single family dwelling but not in a commercial occupancy.
Certified means that someone took a course for example and received a certificate. Some certificates are extremely meaningful and others are not worth the paper on which they are printed.
OSHA for example does not permit an instructor to advertise or promote themselves as OSHA certified 500/501 Instrctor. OSHA prefers the term "Authorized." It is interesting to note that they issue you a certificate!

bennie

Esteemed Member

Defining qualified is like answering the question "How long is a piece of string?"

I used the analogy of a cook, with 40 years of experience, but still prepared lousy food.

This is the origin of the saying "The proof is in the pudding"

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Qualifed would be appropiate for the job. In any event, as Mike Holt said regarding this issue, it will be for the lawyers to deceide.

bphgravity

The term "qualified" is too relative to ones perspective and interests. At least certification is made by an accepted authority that makes determination of qualification.

Status
Not open for further replies.