Quality landscape lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Can anyone recocmend a "quality" line of landscape lights.
I have installed Kitchler. But a buddy has mentioned Nightscaping ligths, xformers and controllers etc.
Any exepierence with Nightscaping?
I like the Kitchler, but I am wondering if there are any alternatives.
Thank you.

jjhoward

Occupation
Owner TJ Electric
Thank you gentlemen.
Both lines look good.
I am anxious to see what kind of budget the HO has for this project.
They are talking about many lights for the front and back of a pretty big lot.
Maybe these folks don't know about the ugly recession! :wink:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Can anyone recocmend a "quality" line of landscape lights.
I have installed Kitchler. But a buddy has mentioned Nightscaping ligths, xformers and controllers etc.
Any exepierence with Nightscaping?
I like the Kitchler, but I am wondering if there are any alternatives.
Thank you.

focus lighting is excellent.

i just quoted 10 aluminum 50 w. mr-16 spots, with 600w xfmr, wire, and misc...
my cost on that was $1,029.00

they also have polished brass... ka-ching.$$

Jacob S

In general Hadco or Vista are my first choose, but if your customer has deep pockets, check out Unique Lighting or FX lighting.
www.vistapro.com
www.hadco.com
www.uniquelighting.com/
www.fxl.com/

I like the vista stuff because i know of installs done back in 1993 where the only lights still in excellent condition are the vista 2216 stakelights.

I have not installed much nightscaping, but I have removed my share of old, corroded, failed fixtures. They are better than the lights found at the home center though.

Just my opinion

Jacob

stickboy1375

I've never gotten to do a landscape job from scratch, always a lighting designer involved... We did a pretty big job a few years ago, I got to keep all the existing lights that I took down, used them in my yard, the neighbors are in awe. :)

dreamsville

I installed some LV landscape for a customer that had already purchased at the big box store. Malibu brand. Nothing but trouble. He's gone thru 2 transformers in less than a year and all the original same color fixtures faded to different colors. :mad: The photocell was junk and I removed it. Just use the timer.

I think I'll recommend that he buy quality trans & fixtures and I'll install these on the existing underground wiring. :smile:

~Shado~

focus lighting is excellent.

i just quoted 10 aluminum 50 w. mr-16 spots, with 600w xfmr, wire, and misc...
my cost on that was $1,029.00

they also have polished brass... ka-ching.$$

I agree...I've done alot of landscape lighting jobs over the past 7 years and only use Focus. Jobs have ranged from $2000 -$20,000.
Have yet to have a call back on any installed for defects,etc..

8 years ago...did a landscape job just over $75,000...using Kim lighting....:mad:.....lens breaking, sockets corode,....not impressed at all. And dealing with Hubbel reps for replacement parts is a nightmare, time consuming...

PCN

I also agree that Focus is a good choice. Great prices.

Hydrel has pretty good lineup as well. http://www.hydrel.com/

I'm surprised about the Kim comment.... we use their area lights exclusively
(wall packs and pole lights) and have no problems at all. Pretty expensive stuff.
Always good to hear feedback like this for future fixture choices.

Last edited:

CopperTone

anything good is going to be expensive - Nightscaping is real good although I have had to replace them after 8 -9 years.

Seagull has a good line for the price - seems like when I quote a job with the expensive stuff people kind of back off but when I "value engineer" and give them the alternate seagull brand, they are happy with it.

I wouldn't buy or install anything from blowes or home cheapo

hardworkingstiff

Nightscaping transformers are very nice (the higher end ones). They offer different secondary voltage taps that you can use to help with voltage drop. Lower taps can be used at the same time as higher taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.