Queens box to use as a splice panel

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
A finished bathroom had a panel that needed replaced to pass inspection it needed relocated. Someone mentioned remove panel replace with Queens box for splices and relocate panel.
I have no idea what a Queens box is. In the moment it was not involved with my personnel work but later it bothered me. Does anyone know what a queens box is?

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
From your description it sounds like (and is subject to a more informed response) you install a new panel in a convenient spot, then gut the old box and splice and extend the wires from the old box to the new box. The splices are in the old box, which gets a plain metal cover in place of the door panel.
An on-line search did little more than show me pictures of mattresses and box springs. Queen-sized.
Nearest I could come to a picture of what the old panel might look like (if taken with a grain of salt)--

1689188087709.png

Last edited:

dm9289

Occupation
From your description it sounds like (and is subject to a more informed response) you install a new panel in a convenient spot, then gut the old box and splice and extend the wires from the old box to the new box. The splices are in the old box, which gets a plain metal cover in place of the door panel.
An on-line search did little more than show me pictures of mattresses and box springs. Queen-sized.
Thats what i got also with Mattresses. I think its just a large junction box

PaulMmn

Occupation
Thats what i got also with Mattresses. I think its just a large junction box
AFAIK, you don't remove the old box-- just the main power feed gets shifted to the new box (plug the holes in the old box). The breakers, bus bars all go away; all circuits are spliced in the old breaker box-- it's now just a large junction box.

PaulMmn

Occupation
Discussion are https://forum.nachi.org/t/service-panel-used-as-junction-box/6504 and other locations... I searched for >electrical breaker box used as junction box<
General consensus is that it's legal, but unless you replace the existing door with a flat panel, the hinged door must be permanently fastened shut, and a label on the front should indicate where the breakers are now located, and the box must be 'accessible' (no paneling over it with drywall).

dm9289

Occupation
Discussion are https://forum.nachi.org/t/service-panel-used-as-junction-box/6504 and other locations... I searched for >electrical breaker box used as junction box<
General consensus is that it's legal, but unless you replace the existing door with a flat panel, the hinged door must be permanently fastened shut, and a label on the front should indicate where the breakers are now located, and the box must be 'accessible' (no paneling over it with drywall).
Thank you