Question about different engineering job titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iKevin

I'm doing an assignment for a class and it asks me to explain different types of engineer so I wonder if you know any of these :D

1. Field Service Engineer: No idea
2. Member of the Technical Staff: people that build prototypes, demos or repair broken stuffs?
3. Junior Engineer: Engineer with 3-4 year experience ?
4. Test Engineer: Engineer who tests prototype before production?

I don't know about #1, but I think I got the rest of it.
Thanks.

jatrottpe

Field Service Engineer has different descriptions.

They are engineers that are sent to customers places of business to evaluate and fix problems the customers are having with their equipment, or aid in optimizing the performance of equipment already in service.

As an example I am in the oil refining business and we call in field service engineers regularly.

Field service engineers would work for a manufacturer (ex. valve company). If we have problems with the valve, the manufacturer (or local rep) send their field service engineer to the site, to evaluate, analyse and if possible fix the equipment. They deal with the practical or application side of the business, they are typically mechanically inclined, (white sock and jeans engineer as opposed to a Blue sock and tie or office engineer)

beanland

What's an Engineer, really?

What's an Engineer, really?

Not all "engineers" have engineering degrees or do engineering.

1. Field Service Engineer: No idea

A1. generally a technician who knows the hardware and works with the installer to get the equipment properly installed and operating.

2. Member of the Technical Staff: people that build prototypes, demos or repair broken stuffs?

A2. a "member of technical staff" can be anyone, even a secretary, of they work on a technical issue.

3. Junior Engineer: Engineer with 3-4 year experience ?

A3 a junior engineer is generally one who has a BS degree in engineering but little real-world experience. They are just learning about reality. Ususally EIT but not PE.

4. Test Engineer: Engineer who tests prototype before production?

A4 a test engineer can be anyone who is involved in product and system testing and commissioning. It can be prototype testing or testing of completed products prior to shipping. For example, in building large power equipment, a series of tests are conducted to make sure the equipment meets specs. This requires special skills and special equipment. The test engineer performs the tests. An engineering degree or license is not required.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That is a very small set of descriptors for engineering titles.

Field Service Engineers would be employed by manufacturing companies. They would be present for the initial installation and testing of the product, and would return to assist with troubleshooting when necessary.

A ?Technical Staff? would be a group of engineers, designers, technicians, and administrative support personnel. Their role might include monitoring the performance of installed equipment, looking for trends, processing requests for repair or routine maintenance, researching possible replacements for obsolete parts, maintaining technical documentation, and generally provide support for the operations and maintenance groups.

What makes an engineer ?junior? depends on the type of engineering under discussion and the nature of the employer. Some engineering disciplines take many years to master, and some companies employ thousands of engineers. I would venture the opinion that an engineer can still be called ?junior,? if he or she does not yet have enough experience to be allowed to take the Professional Engineer?s exam. Similarly, I would not like to apply the term ?junior? to a person with a PE license.

A ?Test Engineer? tests stuff. It might be in a laboratory, during the development of a new product. It might be on-site, during the installation of a new product. It might involve going from site to site, periodically testing equipment to verify it is operating properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.