question about lights with open transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

a question about using this type of lights in close proximity with audio video equipment:

there are about 16 of these lights installed in the ceiling of a room where a 65 inch LCD TV and a high quality HDMI transmitter coming from the closet where the Audio Video feed is. We are having a problem the moment the lights are turn on or off (TV looses the feed for a split second) .

Question is: are these lights causing a big magnetic field so that the low voltage signal going to the LCD Television is interrupted??

I never encounter this problem, I believe that this is why but does any one have any knowledge of it?

the interior designer pushed this lights and on top of it he claims that they are digital ! (yeah right)!!!

here is a link to the website of those lights

http://www.lightingexperts.ca/en/recessed-lighting/recessed-lighting-fixture-12.html

Speedskater

Occupation
retired broadcast, audio and industrial R&D engineering
All audio/video equipment have internal power transformers, many of these transformers are very similar to your light transformers. The transformers will not be a problem, however it is best to not route your interconnect cables near these transformers.

Kevin,

thanks for the response.... I know the transformers are similar... if these are not creating an issue then it has to be the electrical system in the house since it only happens when the switches are fliped on or off...

my first thought was that the outlet was in the same circuit as the AV equipment ...

Joe

Speedskater

Occupation
So switching the lights does something to the A/V system, but I really don't think that it's the transformer's field. Do you have lots of lights? I have a dozen right over my A/V system with no problems. Does the in-wall switch wire follow the same path as the interconnects? Does the switch wire follow the same path as it's neutral? Do you have a shared neutral with the A/V system? Either the switch-on causes a line voltage drop to the A/V system or it generates a large interference spike.

Yes there are about 16 of those lights in that room, at this time I don't know if the ground is shared or not.... the wiring is away about 5 feet from the electrical wiring, I just finished installing it myself plus it's in conduit..

I think you're correct, it can be a voltage drop and a spike because it will do it when the lights are turned off also.

By the way did you get a chance to look them up on the link I posted?
Joe

Speedskater

Occupation
I went to the link first. My lights at home use the same bulbs but are a different brand of fixtures. Mine have been in operation for about 15 years.

it amazing !! today i was ther most of the day not to say all day! cool weather and the A/C almost not running ....power comsuption in the whole house low or to a minimun and voltage at 120 .... so this verifies that the problen is in the power drop!! the HDMI extender
is sensitive to power changes and for that split second it will go out and then back on...
The tech guy at the factory where they make those lights said that it is a power drop issue.. (i called him this AM) now is a worse problem he said if the dimmers are installed these can also make it worse and in addition it will make the transfomers generate noise..

Wonderful!!! is it ? i am thinking of running component and forget it!

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.