Question about Roof Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking through the NEC for code requirements for lighting and receptacles on a roof for mechanical equipment maintenance. My real problem is that I would like to have a GFCI outdoor receptacle and an outdoor lighting fixture, but I have no place to mount this equipment. I was hoping the code could give me some insight.

Any suggestions?

dcspector

I am looking through the NEC for code requirements for lighting and receptacles on a roof for mechanical equipment maintenance. My real problem is that I would like to have a GFCI outdoor receptacle and an outdoor lighting fixture, but I have no place to mount this equipment. I was hoping the code could give me some insight.

Any suggestions?

210.63 for your receptacle outlet requirements and see 210.8 as well for gfci. As far as lighting for this equipment on a roof top not required is this an open area or in an enclosed area of the roof as in mechanical penthouse?

pete m.

210.63 for your receptacle outlet requirements and see 210.8 as well for gfci. As far as lighting for this equipment on a roof top not required is this an open area or in an enclosed area of the roof as in mechanical penthouse?

To add to Gregs code references.. also see 406.8. The requirement for listed weather resistant receptacles has caused a few defect notices for some commercial contractors here. Of course this is only applicable if you are installing per the 2008 NEC.

Pete

We are going along with the NEC 2005. There is no penthouse for the mechanical equipment. There was a penthouse and I mounted lighting fixtures to it. The architect then removed it and now I do not know how I should mount the lighting and receptacle.

Thank you for the gfi code clarifications. Those weren't too bad to find. My primary concern is this light.

dcspector

We are going along with the NEC 2005. There is no penthouse for the mechanical equipment. There was a penthouse and I mounted lighting fixtures to it. The architect then removed it and now I do not know how I should mount the lighting and receptacle.

Thank you for the gfi code clarifications. Those weren't too bad to find. My primary concern is this light.

Lighting to service equipment really not required on the roof top. With that said is the egress path off the roof illuminated? Also. as far as mounting your receptacle mount it on the equipment or build a strut rack....I am just tossing out ideas thats all......

Status
Not open for further replies.