Question about Service Entrance Cable for New Detached Addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

putrid

New User
Occupation
Engineer
Meter Can Pic

Hey everyone - first post here! I'm an electrical engineer by trade in the consumer goods process manufacturing industries. I have (11) years experience in power distribution - switchgears, substations, transformers, MCCs, PDPs (34.5kVac, 2,400Vac, 480Vac, 240/208vac, 120Vac, DC stuff; all your typical industry stuff). I have a current copy of the WV NEC (2017) and am typically decent at finding what I'm looking for. I definitely still have a ton to learn!

My question relates to a residential build we have going on at my house. I have a master electrician who just pulled and terminated the service entrance cable from my meter socket to the panelboard. I noticed he used pliers to pull the cable through the meter socket and compromised the cable insulation to the point I can see aluminum. I pointed this out to him and he said that per the code, he is allowed 2" of exposed aluminum in the meter socket. I've never seen or heard of this before and am now curious where I can find this in the NEC (or WV Potomac Edison Meter Socket Install Guide):

Can anyone here confirm if this is accurate? Am I being too picky? Thanks for any help, guys!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't know where he got the 2" from but it is not an nec code. If it is at the end where it is terminated then I wouldn't worry about it. Sloppy craftman is all.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would ask him to put some tape around it or to clean it up...but if it isn't touching anything it may not be an issue. There may be some info somewhere other than the nec that requires less than 2" IDK

Status
Not open for further replies.